Yves St Laurent

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Johnhson
Site Admin

Yves St Laurent

Post by Johnhson »

Jus thought I'd let you all know I've got a rather nice Yves St Laurent shirt to swank around the allotment in. Oh yes, best dressed man on the site.
Got it from a special store where you can get really good designer goods for next to nothing and help charity at the same time.
My thanks to Help the Aged :)

Just out of interest, who else gets their clothes from the 2nd hand shops?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Quite a few Johnson, especially ebay.
In the States they have goodwill shops. Like our charity shops. You can get some brilliant stuff for $1.00.
So when we visit friends there, we go shopping.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like swirly cotton stuff to dance in, and can more often find what I want in charity shops than the High Street.
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Being somewhat serious (yeah, I know - unusual for me) some people react to 2nd hand as if you're picking fag ends up out of the gutter. Very strange,

Unfortunately we don't donate clothes to charity shops - when I give it up it is really beyond anyone.
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

I love them. If complimented I don't say "oh thankyou" It's usually more like " got it for £1.50 in Oxfam". I get a real buz out of a bargain and flaunt it!!! )t'
Chucky Egg
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

I love them although in nottingham some of the charity shops seem to think they're on saville row or bond st with some of the prices lol.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

We're lucky in Ashford. We have a huge Designer Outlet and to be honest, most things are cheaper than the Charity Shops (plus a Matalan).

I buy books from Charity Shops and this week, a 'new' sofa.

Clothes wise; I work for Kent Cricket Team in Summer, Kent Cricket Academy and Kent Cricket Catering during winter, so I have an enormous wardrobe of kit(s).
Every year, they change it, so last years become the gardening and decorating clothes.

I reckon this year, I've spent no more than £10 (underwear and a Beany hat)!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Emma
Lively Laner

Post by Emma »

I love charity shops, and have no qualms about buying 2nd hand. It's cheap, supports a good cause and often has much more interesting clothes than the bland stuff in the big clothes shops.

I've picked up some really nice wool blankets recently too.

Paxo, come over to Derby, ignore Westfield and have a troll round our very reasonably priced charity shops.
elljay
Lively Laner

Post by elljay »

Like everyone else I get some really good stuff from charity shops, the best things are hand knitted jumpers, like the one I'm wearing right now - long, high necked warm and woolly!

Re: donating to charity shops, I've been having a complete blitz, clearing out the size mumble mumble clothes that I hope I never grow into again and saw that some of them are really not good enough to give to charity shops. Having noticed a Scope bin at the recycling section in the carpark at Morrisons I rang them today to ask what they take and they said that I can put any clothes, textiles etc into the bins, doesn't matter if they've got holes, broken zips, or things I would only consider good enough for dusters. They apparently sort them out and send the tat for recycling and still get good money for them. So Johnhson and everyone else please check with your charity shops, don't bin tatty stuff as even that can make money for charities.

And please could you make it Scope if you have the choice as my grandson has cerebral palsy. And that's Morrisons in Buxton if you're passing by!

Ta

Liz
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Yves St Laurent

Post by AnnaB »

I had a sort out yesterday and was amazed at how much clutter was there (some 20 years old and in very good condition) - I tried everything on and only put back into the wardrobe what I liked - still too much. Charity shop next week is going to do well.
Richard

Post by Richard »

A lot depends upon the town. My sister lives in Golders Green and the Charity Shops there!!! Phew!
In Ashford, my favourite is the PDSA shop.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Thanks for the info elljay - I didn't know that about clothes.

It's funny, when I was a corporate drone I'd nip out and buy a £300 suit, half a dozen shirts at £15 and a few silk ties. Nowadays a £3 shirt gives me more pleasure!

Unlike Richard, I didn't decide to 'downshift' - just realised I couldn't waste any more of my life doing a pointless job I hated.

I love 2nd hand shops - some wonderful bits and bobs as well as clothes in there.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I reckon John uses the old suits for scarecrow duties.

Not sure if he get's in them for doing it though
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Richard wrote:I reckon John uses the old suits for scarecrow duties.

Not sure if he get's in them for doing it though

Now that's a bit cruel - I gave the old suits to Oxfam and most of the ties - except for some I was given as presents.

I've still one suit, funerals etc. Doesn't half shock people used to seeing me in my tramp costume when I dress up.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Yves St Laurent

Post by AnnaB »

Went to the charity shop today and also took an electrically heated table tray (for keeping food warm on the table) I know the shop can't sell electrical goods but I told the manageress that maybe one of the staff could use it.
She came out to the car as unfortunately the area manager was there at the time.....we spoke about a paper shredder and a pair of speakers both in full working order and she told me to bring them next time.
As long as someone gets a use out of these unwanted items I am happy.
I didn't want to try freecycle or preloved as I would hate to see them on E*** which I have read sometimes happens.