Veg stall freebies

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Veg stall freebies

Post by Citrine »

Gonna start this off as always .....

Dunno if this is in the right place but...

My mum was talking to the lady who runs the local veg stall, and asked what happened to all the fruit & veg which is discarded at the back of the stall. it all goes in a skip and thats it. My mum asked if it was ok for me to take some stuff for the chickens, and she said yes!!
I was really surprised, apparently there is a pig farmer who comes and takes stuff too, for his pigs.
Isnt that wonderful, letting us take stuff and not charging? In this day in age anyone else would charge!!

Just thought id share this with you, and thought it might give you an idea to ask at your local place, in case they might let you guys do the same!!! )c(
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
I have posted before that I have a friend who runs a restaurant. I get all the veggies that are not put onto the plates. Not the stuff people leave. It is surprising the amount that we get.
He doesn't cook with salt so I don't need to worry about the dogs or chickens getting salt.
Yes, it is great that you can get something for nothing, especially that it would be thrown away anyway. I am sure other restaurants or veg stalls would do the same. Having the courage to ask, is the first step.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Yeah well done in asking. I didn't have the guts with my local veg shop - but luckily she asked me!
I was rattling on about my chucks and my buns and she asked if I was interested in any waste....now they have a wendy box that they throw all the cabbage leaves in and anything else taken off the shelves. Some, to be honest have been perfect so I've shared the goods with my freezer. Occasionally there is too much for me and mine so I donate it to a rabbit rescuer (she keeps them not rehomes them). I look a right twit carrying a bag full of cabbage leaves and the like on the bus though :oops:
Every now and again I take in some choccies as a thank you. That's my currency you see!! (f+
Have a nice weekend all!
Chucky Egg
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Veg Stall..

Post by AnnaB »

I too get cauliflower leaves from the supermarket. They keep a big bin of the 'trimmings' under the vegetables for sale. If there are not any there I ask. At the checkout I have on a number of occasions been charged....until I tell them. They usually ask if they are for my rabbits, I then can do my rant about 'battery' hens and hopefully everyone in the queue hears!.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Ha ha ha, Anna, what a great vehicle for a 'legal' rant!!! Fab idea, well done!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

With the Palyers during summer and working in Catering / Academy during winter, the bins at Canterbury are quite empty when I'm around. I take loads of stuff home, some good enough for us to eat, some for the cats and some for the chickens.

The problem with Catering is you have to guess what people are going to eat, so invariably, they do too much.

Back in Primary School (early 50's) the Monitors of the day had to take the waste food from the school accross the road and feed the Pigs on the Farm there).

Certainly I eat well much of the time for next to nothing, but still don't put on any weight !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
katie
Learner Laner

Post by katie »

I get greenstuff from a local shop too. I got a big bag yesterday and that should do the chooks a few days. Legally it's ok to give them stuff from a greengrocers but not from a shop that sells meat as well (for example) and not to give them anything that comes out of a kitchen, including your own. Yes, I know it's nonsense. That's DEFRA for you.
jill
Learner Laner

Post by jill »

So, if I've got this right, I can't buy a cabbage from my local supermarket/farm shop (because they also sell meat), chop it in MY kitchen and feed it to the chooks. Could I chop it in my bathroom/car/shed and then it would be legal?
It's a good job that I totally ignore whatever this nanny state says we should and should not be doing if it goes against good old fashioned common sense!
wendy

Post by wendy »

snap Jill
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
katie
Learner Laner

Post by katie »

That's about right. You can pick a cabbage from your garden and feed it to your chickens directly without it going through your kitchen. Be thankful for small mercies! (Yes, I know, I know....)
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

OmG really!! I learn something new every day and somethings really surprises me. :?
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...got an entire tray of grapes on sunday from here!!! Also included were peaches, cabbage leaves and a bunch of bananas (good enough for banana custard, I'll have you know!!!)

My girls are very pleased..... (f+ (f+