This is the year

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Re: This is the year

Post by Stef »

whihever you choose I shall be reading avidly - and stealing the best ideas for my own attempt at frugality.

Have a good, frugal, fun year!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

Happy New Year Spudley.
I too would like to hear what you get up to inthe coming year.
Please start a new thread so we can share your experiences )t'
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
perchy

Post by perchy »

silverbass wrote:Happy New Year Spudley.
I too would like to hear what you get up to inthe coming year.
Please start a new thread so we can share your experiences )t'

We could get the episodes on kindle )t'

Spudley please please start it )b(
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

That's an idea Perchy )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, I reopen this thread whenever you refresh it to see how you're going. And the ongoing story could be an inspiration to new members and visitors.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Helhen
Learner Laner

Post by Helhen »

Hi Spudley,
I'm with the others! Please keep going. Have just found this thread and have total respect for you. )t' I would love to give this a go and have been quoting bits and bobs across the room to my DH. He's well impressed too and we would love to pay off our mortgage. (He has even just made it his New Years resolution to make a packed lunch for work every day!) Blimey!!
We also have 2 (count 'em!!) car loans to pay off, so I think that they will have to be the first to go. We are going to make it our mission to do it. Am still debating the cards/cash thing as I will readily flip the card out if there is no cash in my purse, but will easily fritter away a fiver. Like you say, 50p here and there for a bar of choccy or such does add up. What to do, what to do +confused+ . I think I will start to write down everything I spend for the next few weeks. Should be interesting, especially with 2 kids thrown into the mix.
Good luck for the rest of 2011,
Helen
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

Helhen wrote:Hi Spudley,
I'm with the others! Please keep going. Have just found this thread and have total respect for you. )t' I would love to give this a go and have been quoting bits and bobs across the room to my DH. He's well impressed too and we would love to pay off our mortgage. (He has even just made it his New Years resolution to make a packed lunch for work every day!) Blimey!!
We also have 2 (count 'em!!) car loans to pay off, so I think that they will have to be the first to go. We are going to make it our mission to do it. Am still debating the cards/cash thing as I will readily flip the card out if there is no cash in my purse, but will easily fritter away a fiver. Like you say, 50p here and there for a bar of choccy or such does add up. What to do, what to do +confused+ . I think I will start to write down everything I spend for the next few weeks. Should be interesting, especially with 2 kids thrown into the mix.
Good luck for the rest of 2011,
Helen

Hi Helhen,
Maybe you could start a post on your efforts too and let us know how you get on. )t'
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

Well we have done it!!!!!!!!
It has taken a combination of three jobs between us and a very very under performing endowment policy,every spare penny and a very very low interest rate on an excellent tracker mortgage but we have done it,we have cleared our mortgage and now own our home, knocked 16.5 years off the mortgage!

I don't mind saying that it has been a very hard long slog. There have been times when I wanted to shove it all, all I can say is thank god when someone asks what would you like as a gift so I could say, a new towel, tea towel, bed sheet. Its surprising how long you can make something last when you know that you are not going to buy a new one.

Then there are the times when you have spent so long trying to find the cheapest replacement items that you realise that you don't actually need new ones....and that the char on the bottom of your saucepans will actually come off!

There are things that we have had to buy...underwear for example, knicker elastic is not great, and socks will not last on Mr Spuds hobbit feet. We have literally worn the arse out of our clothes. But t-shirts and old socks make good dusters and floor cloths before ripped to strips to make kindle, and can go on present lists so technically don't have to be replaced by us.

All clothes that I have had to replace have been bought on the cheap. I don't mean that they were cheap but that they have all been in sales with between 50 and 70% off. The same has gone for shoes. You soon start to look after them when you know that the pair has to last at least a year. I have kept a tidy pair of shoes at work so that they didn't get worn outside (they have lasted three years) had chicken poo shoes and wellies as presents did have to buy a new pair of winter boot a couple of years back that were good quality and have had them re zipped on the one and re soled- still cheaper than replacing them, but look out shoe shops I am now on a mission to treat myself!!! big time!

It is surprising how these small amounts really start to add up to big money after a while and at the end of the month any are money came straight off the mortgage.

oh yes and another big saving in the form of dog food has come from Amazon subscribe and save which i have delivered each month to the door. I just want to point out that at no point has the health of our animals been affected, if they have needed anything then they have had it, vaccinations, medical treatment, food, and I have managed not to compromise any of my ethics.

I can not wait for payday this month going to have a bit of a blow out.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well done Spudley!!! All of your hard work and scrimping has certainly been worth it - losing 16 years of mortgage is a real result and must be all the more sweet as your plan has succeeded! )like(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well done.
Shows what you can do if you try.

Don't go mad now :-D (but you do deserve a few treats)
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Well done, well worth every sacrifice you have had to make! Enjoy your blow out!! )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

BTW. What have you been up to since you last posted here - it's been a while.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)t' well done - you are an inspiration.
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

Mo wrote:BTW. What have you been up to since you last posted here - it's been a while.

Not a lot, working mainly and sleeping, fighting the dirt in between. Not holidaying or eating out. Spend time on FB-it's free. We got a couple of lambs to add to our menagerie not that they have saved us money but have given me a lot of fun.

We have done a great deal of mending, l learned how to replace zips, that has been helpful.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
wendy

Post by wendy »

Just caught this.
Well done you )t' )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning