Claening glass in woodburners

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
willowman
Learner Laner

Claening glass in woodburners

Post by willowman »

Hi, I am new to this but l thought l would share a tip l discovered recently. Instead of using chemical cleaners to clean sooted up glass in woodburning stoves try using the ash on damp newspaper. It works a treat and it's FREE!
Don't dream it, do it!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi there willowman, nice to see you here.

My Rayburn is so dirty, I wouldn't know if it had a window or not !!

Good tip though. Woodburners are becoming more popular again. I think people don't realise how efficient and cost effective they are.

Where do you get your wood from?

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
willowman
Learner Laner

Post by willowman »

Our usual supplier stopped this year. Shame as they were quite cheap. Wood out here in France is quite expensive compared to the UK, probably twice the price. I am on the lookout for a small wood to buy! Failing that l am growing willow that can be used as biomass ie Tora & Q83. We hope to be self-sufficient in 3 years.
Don't dream it, do it!
Lo
Lively Laner

Post by Lo »

Hi Willowman

We lived in France for a couple of years (central France, near Limoges) and we found the wood incredibly cheap. One of the french friends we made introduced us to a farmer who sold wood.

Lo