shampoo - the end of the bottle

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

shampoo - the end of the bottle

Post by lancashire lass »

Washing my hair tends to be a rush job in the morning, and when the shampoo bottle starts to get low, there's only so much time and patience trying to fling the remnants near the squirty end before I give up and grab a new bottle.

Over Christmas I noticed a collection of shampoo bottles on top of the cabinet (I tend to try out different ones so several may be on the go at the same time as well) and decided to have a clear out. But, what a waste - I'll try and drain them into one bottle first .... and filled a whole bottle!

How's that for being frugal! And it was so pretty with the different coloured layers and smells. :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

In my kitchen there's sometimes a plastic milk container, balanced upside down on the milk jug.
And the fairy liquid gets quite dilute before it's bottle is recycled.

Will you end up with stripey hair, using stripey shampoo?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:Will you end up with stripey hair, using stripey shampoo?

:oops: I think those are called grey hairs ....
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

I always add drop of water to shampoo, washing up liquid and also to hair conditioner - makes it last for ages. Also always cut tubes of cream in half - loads inside!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

shampoo

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Morgs

You only cut tubes in 2? I cut them at least 3-4.....I know what you mean about loads inside. I also 'save' soap bits and melt them down and pop them into a mould - super value for money.....
Anna
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

When it gets low I usually just prop the shampoo bottle cap side down so when I grab it the last bit is ready to come out ....... then I usually put some water in it to get out the last remnants of shampoo.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My soap bits go in a squeezy bottle with some water. You have to add water and unblock the nozzle now and then.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

There appears not to be anything in most Washing Up liquids which would separate them from Shampoo's.
Put a fancy label on, say the scent and I can see no difference.

I've used Wash Up liquid before now.

On Washing up liquid, it does seem a product in the 'you get what you pay for' category - would you agree?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

not sure about the washing up liquid ...... wouldnt it dry your hair out too much? does it sting if it gets in your eyes?

i have used plain soap on my hair and it seems to work fine. only thing is soap residue can remain if you dont rinse with a vinegar solution say 1 Tbsp to 2 litres water. you can add all sorts of things to the rinse if you want to be fancy (f+
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have just looked at the back of my shampoo bottle, it says 'Apply a generous amount of shampoo to wet hair, massage thoroughly, rinse, and repeat if necessary'.
My version is, 'Apply a minute dribble of shampoo to wet hands, rub hands together, apply to wet hair, if not enough foam, repeat, then rinse. Do not apply a second wash. Too much shampoo strips the natural oils out of your hair and dries it out.
A bottle of washing up liquid lasts me about 18 months, but I only have my own pots to wash. I apply same principles as above, use very little, a few spots into the bowl with running water froths it up nicely. It helps that I rarely eat greasy food.
The wind is awful today.
Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

In my church mouse days I also have used washing up liquid.
I also only wash once a week with the bare minimum and only the one wash.
My hair has always been fine
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have a choice.
I do the washing up and the liquid last for ages.
OH does it and the bottle soon empties.

Which would be your choice?
wendy

Post by wendy »

difficult that one confused>
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Meanqueen wrote:I have just looked at the back of my shampoo bottle, it says 'Apply a generous amount of shampoo to wet hair, massage thoroughly, rinse, and repeat if necessary'.

It was a long time ago, but I remember watching a television documentary and one of the manufacturers admitted that the reason they wrote that is so that the customer uses twice as much. One wash is enough, and as you say, too much and too often will strip the natural oils, which then needs a conditioner to fix! :?