Paper brick maker

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
chickenbrain2009
Learner Laner

Re: Paper brick maker

Post by chickenbrain2009 »

Thanks, I have already tried that, but I just dont seem to be able to get a good brick, I asked some people on a different site, cant remember which one and people there said they ddint find the brick maker worked very well either. So I am interested to hear if there is something which can be done to make it better. I have tried making smaller bricks etc, tried mixing in sawdust etc, nothing seems to make it very good. Its rather frustrating as its such a good idea.
Pam
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I know my daughter made them for a while - as far as I can remember, the only problem she had was the drying out, and that was solved by clearing a space in the greenhouse for them. Having said that, I don't recall any feedback from her regarding the actual burning.

Sorry, that was a useless reply!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
chickenbrain2009
Learner Laner

I saw the video on this site and thought that it must work or there would be no point in making a video for it ^b:
Pam
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I know Richard makes and burns them. I expect he will be along soon....
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

See you have problems. The secret I think is in the amount of water you squeeze out when making them. You have to virtually sit on them to make them firm enough to hold together.

Also, you need to let the paper soak for at least a few days and ensure you tore it all up into smallish bits.

The other thing is not to dry them too quickly, put them somewhere warm and just wait. Sometimes this can be a couple of weeks.

I assume you're just using newspaper and not other glossy stuff etc?

Hope it sorts out, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
chickenbrain2009
Learner Laner

Yes, I stand on the thing to squeeze out enough water and I have tried soaking them. the fact the flame is blue would indicate not enough oxygen I suppose................I just cant get enough heat from them.
chickenbrain2009
Learner Laner

I have even tried making it into a kind of papier mache :?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Don't suppose you are having the same trouble as I am?

Newspapers
Helen xx

chickenbrain2009
Learner Laner

sounds like it? I have problems sometimes getting my newspapaer to burn but again usually its because there is not enough oxygen caught in between the folds
Pam
Richard

Post by Richard »

Interesting, some people swear by certain newspapers for burning as in preferring Daily Express to Daily Mail etc.
It's probably the thickness of the paper, maybe the ink they use as well.

With the blue flame, mine always flame blue, but last very well.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
chickenbrain2009
Learner Laner

Some people said that the logs burn very slowly and are mainly suitable for keeping a log burner going overnight. Perhaps I need to have yet another go >dum<
Pam
manda

Post by manda »

We have found putting a layer of paper in first and wrapping it around the pulp like a parcel made the brick more stable (for want of a better word).
We tend to mix them with wood so you get that burning mix....they do burn slower.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good tip Manda.

I only use mine in the Rayburn, they certainly last longer than on an open fire. But even on the open fire they're good.

)t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Not if you have fireproof paper I would think. )gr:
Helen xx

manda

Post by manda »

We've got a woodburner ....it will usually burn through the night if we load it up with half wood half bricks and close down the vents.

Fireproof paper would present a challenge though )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny