Website

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Website

Post by Citrine »

My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Sorry, couldnt do an explanation cos my supervisor came over!! ha ha!!
Anyway, thought this would appeal to the frugal of us, maybe its in the wrong thread, who knows!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What!!!!!!!
throw away good food?
"You'll eat that herring" (Who's old enough to recognise that quote?)

Well, alright, there may be half a tin of beans lurking in the fridge, or a spoonful of custard and just sometimes they lurk too long and get chucked.
But mostly it's common sense, surely. A casserole makes good use of a lot of bits.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Yes, but not everyone knows how to do it! Come on, many youngsters today (and olders!) live on microwave or ready made meals - just thought I'd post the website for information and ideas.

...and no, I dont know what the herring is all about confused>
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've never heard about herring either, but guess it means eat it even if you don't like it

I love "resurrections" - a meal reheated but sometimes differently. After having say for example, meat and potatoe pie (done in the oven), the next day it is fried up, suet crust an' all! I always think it tastes better next day :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maybe it should have been written with a Lancashire accent "Th'll eat.."
The other week I made a casserole with lots of veg and a pound of mince.
Day 1. served with Baked potato
Day3. pie, baked spud, extra veg
Day4. heated with a mashed potato topping and a different veg
Day 7. curry
In between I cooked a bit of fish, a sausage, 4 rashers, and several EGGS.
I'm not a vegetarian, but I made a little go a long way thet week.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

It's a fight in our house as to who gets any leftovers! We have horses, dog, cats and about 8 compost bins. (hopefully some chickens soon). The only thing that gets put in the bin is a chicken carcass after it has been used for stock!

Also I love cooking up 'what I've got' as opposed to going up and buying specific ingredients. Only if it's really nice can't remember what I put in it!

think it's a good site though.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It's a good site, but I don't know why that woman said it is harder if you are on your own, I think it is easier. We were brought up to clear our plates, and that is what I have always done, I eat everything I buy, even if that means I have the same meal three nights in a row just to use something up. Sometimes I eat whatever I happen to have in, even if I don't fancy it.
Ilona
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...its easier on your own! I agree with Meanqueen there. I could joyfully live off toast, but with hubby, I cant always do that. (only if he's on shift!)
He's now cottoned on and leaves me a dinner in the oven - not always nice but food nonetheless.
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I don't think we throw out much. If I want "leftovers" for lunch one day I have to take a portion out in advance.

I suppose there are all the carrots we get in the veg box but the mr has decided he quite likes carrots now he's used to them appearing in everything. (Yes, I'm the queen of the hidden veg!) Spare greens at the end of the week get fed to the chickens.
There's no cure for stupidity.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, it's the harvest gluts that get wasted. Either your own, or someone else's if you have a box.
I don't grow enough veg to waste much, though a row of cabbage bolted last year.
But apples and plums are a different matter. All the windfalls and pecked fruit have good parts, but soon go bad. And the apples in store go off eventually. I take loads to dance club but want some for me, for as long as they will last. I peeled me last Bramleys this week, 3 good, 2 going at the top. The Kidds eaters are slightly wrinkled - some very wrinkled, hens and birds enjoy those. Especially on snowy & frosty mornings like today.
I bet loads of food get's wasted by supermarkets, and on farms due to supermarkets changing their orders.
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

thanks for that link!
i always wonder what to do with leftover roast lamb and i found some recipes for it! )t'
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

does it have anything to do with Monty Python?
Mo wrote:What!!!!!!!
throw away good food?
"You'll eat that herring" (Who's old enough to recognise that quote?)

Well, alright, there may be half a tin of beans lurking in the fridge, or a spoonful of custard and just sometimes they lurk too long and get chucked.
But mostly it's common sense, surely. A casserole makes good use of a lot of bits.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

MUCH older than Monty Python.

Needs a Lancashire accent.
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

oh crumbs im stumped then :?