Website

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

A classic radio play from first broadcast '65 called Hindle Wakes with Wilfred Pickles as the bossy father.
[Note for foriegn and Southern readers - 'Wakes weeks' were the week the mills of a Northern town shut down and everyone went on holiday]
The play tells of the repercussions of a group of girls going off for the week, and why she didn't fancy her breakfast afterwards!!!
Last edited by Mo on 10 Feb 2008, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Apparently it was also a film 1931 and 1952
fenlander
Lively Laner

Post by fenlander »

just read this thread. I was asked to help out in the staff canteen and i was shocked by the level of waste food. one friday 16 yes 16 pieces of prime cod fillet was thrown away at the end of the day. i didnt do the cooking just servery but my god there was so much waste. in one day alone 4 bin bags full of tins, plastic and pther things that could have been recycled were sent to land fill. I recyle why dont shops do it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Time is money. And staff have to be trained in hygene etc. so the bosses don't want the bother of training on something they don't have to.
So recycling in buisness will only happen if someone on the staff is keen or if it costs so much to collect mixed rubbish that it' worth while.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...but dont businesses pay more for their rubbish?? My old neighbour was a florist, and was always moaning about how the wastage cost her....maybe im getting confused!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
WiseBird
Learner Laner

Post by WiseBird »

I thought the film quote was from 'Spring & Port wine' starring James Mason, Susan george & Diana Coupland...now there was a father who could make you eat herrings and not waste food :shock:

What really surprises me is how wastful some of the older generation are, having come through the war and rationing...my mother would pile plates high with food even though she knew we didn't like it...she still tells me to do the same even now when my nieces visit, they are so picky she says 'just put the food on the plate and if they dodn't like it...throw it away )de:

I think she needs a period of re-education )hlp>
If life deals you lemons - make lemonade!