car booting, selling and buying

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

car booting, selling and buying

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi everyone, I've been selling my tat at a car boot sale today, made the grand total of £39, which wasn't bad considering there was only 7 stalls, and not many customers. Still, it was somewhere warm to sit for a few hours, inside a community centre.
I called in at the BIG supermarket on the way home to look for a few bargains. I timed it just right, they were marking down stuff in the chiller cabinet so I got some veggie sausages and mushroom burgers. I did the rest of my shop, and went back to the chiller to see if they had added anything else, the woman was making further reductions on the same items I had picked up so I gave mine back to her and said I want these cheaper please, which she did. I also picked up some cheese which was not cheap enough the first time she marked it down.
I spotted that a woman had some reduced price stuff from the bakery so I was up there like a shot. I got 2 big muffins for 14p, and a bag of 5 donuts for 29p.
It pays to go shopping an hour before they close, but if you leave it too late, what's left gets taken off the shelves, and dumped I imagine.
Ilona
Last edited by Meanqueen on 22 Jun 2008, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Its amazing what you can get reduced isnt it??? We once got given some oranges and grapefruit which were perfectly fine, for FREE in A**a once - they were fine for juicing!!! (the fruit, not the shop!)

Well done!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

When I was a student I used to go to the supermarket on Monday afternoons when the surplus weekend stock was reduced. But then I used to get a week's food for two and household stuff and get change from a tenner so that was a while ago. I wonder how the 24hour opening fashion has affected the bargain shelf?
There's no cure for stupidity.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I go into a Sainsbury local at 10.30 after dance club, as its on the way home. Can be good - bargains. Or bad - no bread. And I only go when I need bread.
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I used to love it when an item was reduced right down and then the BOGOF or '2 for £x' discount was also applied by the till. Pennies 'earned' in this manner always went straight into my smallholding piggy bank.

I managed to buy 4 loaves of nice wholemeal bread yesterday for about half the cost of me baking it. :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thriftiness, nothing better.

I find the local Co-Op quite good. Thing is, if you don't buy it, they chuck it in the dustbin.
I've got away with 'Give you 50p' and got away with it a few times.

It's the old 'don't ask, don't get'!

Good for you Ilona.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Just to keep this car booting thread going, I went to our local car boot sale this morning for a look, not expecting to find anything. The first thing I noticed was a large cat carrier in nearly new condition for a fiver. I thought, someone might need that for a hen rescue, so I got it.

Then I got 2 big plastic buckets for 10p each, they will make good planters. Then I found something that I have wanted for ages. Bet you didn't think anyone could get so excited over a giant industrial size roll of shrink wrap, the sort they use for holding the contents of a pallet together. There was a label on it with what I thought said £3, I asked how much, she said oh, a pound will do. I was elated, I want it for making cloches, and making my plastic greenhouse and plant shelters more weather proof.

Next I got a large net curtain for £1, this will protect my small plants. And finally I got a strong metal ironing board for £2. No, it's not for ironing, I want it for standing plants on outside, against the house wall.

I'm well chuffed with my finds. )t' Has anyone else found a bargain?

Ilona