Hanna Hauxwell

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hanna Hauxwell

Post by AnnaB »

I read about her in the papers last year and wanted to learn more.

I have nearly finished watching the 2 DVDs of this amazing lady. She lived on her own in an isolated farmhouse until she was just over 60 with no electricity or mains water. She reared cattle and had the princely sum of £250 a year to live on.

Her English was impeccable and when she went to the Woman of the Year awards she was not at all fazed by it.

I certainly could not live the life she led.
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

In the misty murky depths of my mind I seem to remember there being a tv documentary about her quite a few years ago....she was tough. I can't imagine living a life like that either, despite the fact that I admire her strength.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

There is a woman in North Yorkshire living a similar lifestyle. Sue Woodcock a former police woman from Hampshire. I have written to her a couple of times and rang her to ask if I can come and visit, but she says she is always busy.
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Pla ... 1860379.jp
This is the link to the Yorkshire Post, not sure if I have copied and pasted it right.
Ilona
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hanna Hauxwell

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Ilona
The link is correct - thanks. It would appear that if she wanted to have a golf course or even the millions of 'affordable' houses she would be allowed to.....have you kept up to date with this?
Anna
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

I would love to watch those dvd's. Could I ask where you got them from please. I remember hearing about her on the news a while back. What a great life.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hanna Hauxwell

Post by AnnaB »

WendyM

I eventually got them from HMV (c) (freepost) and had to wait a couple of months. I have had a recent email from Amazon (c) to say they have now got them. If you do order them go through DTL and Richard will get some pennies!!!
Anna
maderedundant
Lively Laner

Post by maderedundant »

I have 4 of her books, or rather, books co-written by Barry Cockcroft, the reporter who "discovered" her. Fantastic reading. A lot about her life and the people she grew up with, a life that many of us would struggle to cope with.
I remember the series "Innocent Abroad The Travels of Miss Hannah Hauxwell " from a few years back. That's proper telly!
According to reports she was still alive and well in 2007.

Paul
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hanna Hauxwell

Post by AnnaB »

Paul
I went onto a search engine and found a forum of the Dales. The most recent posting about her was she was alive in Feb this year and will be 82 on 1st Aug - bless her!
Anna
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I recall watching something a few years ago - remarkable woman !!

Here's the links to Amazon (thanks Anna)t'

Hannah Hauxwell DVD's

Hannah Hauxwell Books

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Anna
Sue did get planning permission to stay there. She writes a column for the Yorkshire Post. If you go back to the link I gave you, and put in Sue Woodcock in the search on the top right hand of the page, it will come up with other articles about her.
I wrote to her 3 times but she didn't reply, I guess she gets lots of letters. I also got her phone number from the council web site where she put in her planning application. I rang and asked if I could visit, but she said she was busy. I thought it would be interesting to see her animals, and the area.
Must go to bed, up early for work.
Ilona
:)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Anna,
The latest episode from Sue Woodcock, if you are interested.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/country- ... 3857357.jp

Ilona
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hanna Hauxwell

Post by AnnaB »

Ilona

Thanks for that - she is very philosophical isn't she?

Anna
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

After reading this post I brought her book of ebay, what an amazing women she is.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hanna Hauxwell

Post by AnnaB »

She is to appear tomorrow night 21st Mar for a one off programme at 8pm on ITV1 which will be shown nationally.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/

Type in Hanna Hauxwell