Free Compost Bin

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
OldForum
Lively Laner

Free Compost Bin

Post by OldForum »

Chickenopolis

Hello everyone,
I noticed on my local councils website that people of pensionable age may be eligible for a free compost bin. My mother telephoned our local council and they delivered one to her the next day as she is of pensionable age, does not have access to a car, and used to collect green sacks from the council who would collect her garden waste for free, which has now stopped.
As each councils differ it might be worth checking out with your own to see if they offer a scheme like this.

I also managed to contact her gas and electric provider who have put her on a cheaper tariff for two years because she is of pensionable age and spends more than 10% of her pension/income on her gas and electric bills. Its worth asking what your provider can offer you as in my mother's case she is not in receipt of pension credit, housing or council tax benefit which are the usual eligibility criteria for reductions /rebates etc.

I hope this helps

Chickenopolis...
grasshopper30
Learner Laner

Post by grasshopper30 »

Many Local Councils offer free or low cost compost bins for all!
jill
Learner Laner

Post by jill »

I got a free compost bin from our local council. It's never gone together properly as one side is bent, but it still does the job. Some councils give out free water butts as well, although it's first come first served. I have also got extra recycling bins just by asking - back down to the original 3 now as someone nicked 1 and 1 is stuck inside another and no amount of brute force will shift it (different manufacturers me thinks!).
I have even heard of a local council that gives away free dog barking training collars. I think that's to stop noisy dogs, not teach them to bark.