stuff for nothing

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

stuff for nothing

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm going to try even harder to get stuff for nothing. I have now started rooting through the bin of the chinese takeaway in our village, because they get their mushrooms delivered in plastic trays, and they are the perfect size for carrying 25 plastic drinks cups (free) with my seedlings in. Mind you I think it's better to do this during the hours of darkness, so I stop on the way to work at 3.50am!

I have put a notice up at work asking if anyone has a box of nails that have been lying around in their shed for years, that they don't want, and can they give them to me for free. One guy said he would bring me some, and another said he would swap some for tomato plants. My work mates think I am a bit barmy, but I said if I can get free stuff, I won't have to work as much as they do.

I had a nosy peep in my neighbours brown recycle bin (compostable stuff), and was horrified to see perfectly good carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and grapes, had been chucked. No, I didn't dive in and get them out, but I was tempted. How can I ask my neighbours to pass on their unwanted food to me, without letting on that I have been spying in their bin? They are two, twenty something high flying famale executives, I'm sure they already think I am an eccentric old biddy.
)eat(
Ilona
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

How about using freecycle?
Small steps lead to big changes
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

tell them all kicthen waste is for the chickens
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have done quite well for free stuff this week.
Derek brought me a big box of nails he didn't want.
I found a 2p coin on the ground.
I got 25 long lengths of timber from work.
I filled 6 plastic boxes of soil from the molehills.
I have had 2 free showers on motorway service areas.
The man in the canteen saved me a big box of egg shells, to put round my seedlings to deter slugs.
Barry in the market gave me 6 big plastic flower buckets that someone threw away.
I went to town and got free parking, I never pay for parking.
I got a new part for my hearing aid, from the hospital.
I luv free stuff
Ilona
:-D