Can you do without a Car?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

In theory, I could do without a car, but in practise, it would make life a lot more difficult. Where I live public transport is appalling. I have made a concious decision to use the car a lot less. I use my bicycle for short, utility trips where I don't carry a lot of heavy stuff. I use the car to do the 'big shop'. Husband *requires* car use for his work, as he goes to see folk over a wide area (all of East Anglia). Mind you, he too is known to use his bicycle if it's a more local call. Plus, my son cycles competitively and we simply could not get him to events if we didn't have access to a private car. But I do use the car a lot less than I used to with little hassle. To give it up completely would, however, be a PITA.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

In the last week Ive been walking to school instead of driving, takes about 50 minutes round trip, trying to ease myself into being without a car but I dont know if I can face it. I dont mind walking to school but its the not being able to get out in the holidays when the kids are off school that would probably drive me insane. :shock:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, but walking to school is showing your kids that there is another way of getting about, and good for their health, and independance when you consider them old enough to walk by themselves.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I try and walk whenever I can, it's good excercise. But I am going to work in an hour and it's 25miles away. I suppose I shouldn't have taken a job so far away, but it's more like a hobby, and as I don't have many leisure days out, I think of my walking as 'offsetting', this.

The job is fun, moving motorhomes about, we are collecting them from Peterborough showground and bringing them back to base. I

I am hoping to put some diesel in my car, if there is any left at the petrol filling stations !!!

Ilona confused>
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

Some very interesting points raised on this topic, in my case I did not start driving until I was in my mid 30s. A mix of small motorbikes and mainly cycling was my transport up to then. Finely gave up and went for a car as the trip to work was along 5 miles of manly unlit roads and the winters were no fun at all. Only trouble is once you stop cycling daily its hard getting back into the rhyme. We have quite good public transport in the Isle of Man when compared to where I lived in the UK, but as I am trying to get a gardening business up and running the car + trailer will be needed to get to jobs. However I have little love of driving and would happily give it up if I could.
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

rachell24 wrote:In the last week Ive been walking to school instead of driving, takes about 50 minutes round trip, trying to ease myself into being without a car but I dont know if I can face it. I dont mind walking to school but its the not being able to get out in the holidays when the kids are off school that would probably drive me insane. :shock:

Cycling?

When my offspring was at high school, much of the time he'd cycle the 11-mile round trip. When he was younger, his dad and/or I would do the cycle trip with him. Once he got to A-level study, he cycled the 26-mile round trip throughout the year. We also cycle for leisure. Even a middle-aged, overweight matron like me can do 100 miles in a day, which makes for a good day out in the summer especially. Start off with very short distances of less than five miles, do little & often & gradually increase distances.

Also, cycling from Ye Olde Tea Shoppe to Ye Olde Ice Cream Emporium is an entirely civilised way to spend a day :-D
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Love the idea of cycling, but Its too dangerous round here. I dont think Stockport council know what a cycle lane is. Even if there were some I dont think the motorists round here would know what they were either. LOL

Ive got three children, eldest are 8 and 7 and the youngest 7 months so I think that would also drive me insane worrying about them getting squished. Plus they would probably get stolen (not painting a good picture of Stockport am I) its a big place, there are some lovely parts, somewhere.

Now a horse I'd like. Couldnt miss one of those trotting down the A6. I can just imagine the letter from the headmistress telling me off for leaving my horse outside school.

Rachel

Rachel
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

rachell24 wrote: Plus they would probably get stolen

I meant the bikes not the children!

Anyway, in the last hour I have finally decided to get rid of my car.

My OH has just found out he has got job he had an interview for a few weeks ago, which is about ten minutes drive away so we have decided for some of the days in the school hols I can have the car if he dosnt need it to visit clients and I will take him to work.

This has been such a dilema for us as my maternity leave has now ended (was/still am really, a childminder) and I have been trying to decide what to do as didnt really want to go back to Childminding full time. If anyone has ever been a childminder "nice kids shame about the parents"might ring some bells, mind you mine were the kids as well, but thats another story.

I didnt want to go back to evening as did that for ten years and my kids were not at school then so at least I would get to see them during the day, plus my OH had a 9-5 job then, whereas now he travels all over the place and he dosnt get back until late and we have no-one to help with the children so there could be times I wouldnt be able to get work.

Full time childcare would cost at least 8k for my three so didnt see the point in getting a full time job, and earning the same as I would to do evenings bringing me back to"I cant do evenings anyway!" Plus my youngest will be our last so want to make the most of it.

So Have decided that by selling the car I can just go back to childminding part time for the moment, save money by getting rid of a loan and reduce my carbon footprint all in one go.

sorry for waffling, going to have a glass of wine now to celebrate my decision.

Probably have changed my mind in the morning when I wake up and see the weather. Oh well ,I can think all the money Ill be saving will go towards a holiday. Obliterating any reduction in my carbon footprint. :shock:
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Can you do without a Car?

Post by AnnaB »

I think that a lot of people will be 'doing without' their cars soon. I bought some diesel today and it was £1.20lt - that equates to nearly £6 per gallon. I am glad that I do not drive far these days and a tank will last around 6-8 weeks.
At least those people that drive 'buses' will be feeling the pinch - hurrah!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Good luck with it, and OH's new job.
At least in Stockport you have public transport, though it's probably not cheap and you always seem to need 3 changes to get anywhere.
A6 is dreadful isn't it.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

that made me laugh about the three changes, you are so right!

Yes the A6 is awful, I have to cross it to get to school, there is a Lollipop lady but its so noisy and the fumes are horrible.

Nice sunny day today, hurray. Its a sign to say its the right thing to get rid of the car. LOL

Rachel
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi

Good luck Rachell with whatever you decide, its hard having to go back to work when you have kids even if you are workng from home it can't be easy. i've got two and they are 10 and 14 and its still a struggle as they have there own mind, and only want to do what they want to do. Bless them

Good luck anyway

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Muppet9204
Learner Laner

Post by Muppet9204 »

Further to my posting on 30th March in which I announced my brave decision to sell my car and just rely on my husbands......not a single enquiry :cry: :cry: :cry:

Have to confess that whilst it is there I will use it to get to work rather than walking but I think I will be fairly happy to walk once it has gone.

During that time I have made a few journeys by bus which is quite something as I live in a rural area and such trips need very careful planning. I have to say though that I have been pleasantly surprised. A 15 minute walk to the bus stop then buses which get me where I want to go fairly easily. No need to worry about parking or paying to park and a £3.70 ticket allows me to get on and off the buses (in quite a large area) as I want. It works out much cheaper and paying for deisel and parking. Extra bonus, when I meet a friend for lunch, I can have a glass or two of wine without worrying. )t'

I so want to get rid of the car but as stated earlier by someone, the cost of deisel must be a deterrant for anyone thinking about changing.

Please will you all cross your fingers for me in my hour of need.
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

rachell24 wrote:Love the idea of cycling, but Its too dangerous round here. I dont think Stockport council know what a cycle lane is. Even if there were some I dont think the motorists round here would know what they were either. LOL

Ive got three children, eldest are 8 and 7 and the youngest 7 months so I think that would also drive me insane worrying about them getting squished. Plus they would probably get stolen (not painting a good picture of Stockport am I) its a big place, there are some lovely parts, somewhere.

Now a horse I'd like. Couldnt miss one of those trotting down the A6. I can just imagine the letter from the headmistress telling me off for leaving my horse outside school.

Rachel

Rachel

I'll let you in on a secret, known to many regular cyclists but not to those who aren't: cycle lanes are more dangerous than cycling on road. Cycle 'facilities' are the bane of the lives of many a regular cyclist. There's plenty of studies to show this, but they are ignored by or unknown to local authorities who insist on providing 'farcilities' to tick the box that says they've done something for cyclists.

Ask your local authority about cycle training for kids and adults done to the new national cycle training standards. It provides kids and adults alike with the skills to cycle assertively (not aggressively) and as safely as possible on roads. Also read & inwardly digest 'Cyclecraft' which is the basis of the new cycle training standards. See http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/. And also http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3529 for details of how to get proper training.

Cycle training wasn't available when my son was younger, so I taught him myself. I remember the first time I let him cycle to school on his own (11 mile round trip) I gnawed my fingers to the bone with worry and did for a *long time* afterwards. But many years later, he's still here, managed to get to university and still cycles. When he was younger & cycling to school & back, I would not have been entirely surprised if social services turned up on my doorstep, as I had so many of his mates' mothers giving me the "I wouldn't let my child cycle, it's dangerous out there." and giving me filthy looks :) I don't regret that I did get him to cycle though, as it really paid dividends. He's fitter than most of his peers, he developed real 'road sense' far earlier and better (even now) than many of his peers and it also helped educationally to. How? well, he arrived at school awake, alert, refreshed and ready to learn. He pointed this out to me comparing himself in maths first thing in the morning compared to his mates who had either been dropped off by their parents or gone on the bus. My son cycled year round in all weathers: even snow!

The risks of theft are real, but most thefts are opportunistic and use of a decent D-lock, locking the bike to an immoveable object will deter all but the most determined thief and will satisfy insurance companies in respect of claims.

Roads are really not as dangerous as we think. The vast majority of motorists aren't out to get cyclists deliberately or by inattention. Combine that with learning how to cycle safely & assertively with proper cycle training, and cycling is fun, remarkably safe and has been shown time and time again to provide far more benefits to health than risks to health.

I cycle country lane, B-roads, A roads, the odd dual carriageway, in countryside, town & city UK and abroad and I wouldn't do it if it was really dangerous. It's all about gaining the skills to cycle safely.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I am pretty certain that I have had a good old rant and rave about the ten inch strip of red tarmac painted on to the side of our roads; as WC (sorry couldn’t resist the carry-on film initial) above says most of us seasoned cyclists don’t use it because it’s not fit to be used. (Good rantette by the way Waffly). Most of the ones around our way are just wide enough to snugly fit every sunken drain cover and are ideally placed to allow for additional parking for folk popping to the shop.

On a lighter note but no less infuriating I actually got hit by a cigarette end being flicked out of a car window by the driver today, it was raining so no damage and to be honest I don’t even think that the silly girl saw me as I was in the middle of the road turning right at a junction……. Or maybe she did and had been reading a previous soap box posting and thought of revenge….. we will never know.
Bah Humbug