Can you do without a Car?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

Oops, I thought I was avoiding having a rantette. :oops: It wasn't meant to be a rantette; honest.

But as the substandard level of facilities has been mentioned by another... saint-spoon, have you seen the most excellent Warrington Cycle Campaign "Facility of the Month" page? It is usually *hilarious* and also sad, frustrating, anger-inducing etc., as it shows just what crud cyclists are expected to put up with in the form of 'farcilities'

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/

Flick through the many offerings over the years by clicking on the links at the bttom of the page. A book of the 'best' has now been produced. It should be required reading for anyone in a local authority/Sustrans who is involved in the provision of 'farcilities' Oh no, I feel a rantette coming on.

*breathe*

*calm*

*centre self*

Ahhh... )j;

I've yet to see a sign direected at motorists saying. "Stop car here get out and push" which is the equivalent of "Cyclists dismount" that fester farcilities with gay abandon. Oops.. rantette developing...

*breathe*

*calm*

*centre self*

Ahhh... )j;
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Its a lovely idea, maybe when they are a bit older. School is within walking distance so no need to cycle and we get to talk on the way there. I dont really go anywhere else on my own that is a cycle distance, I can walk to most places. Hence getting rid of my car. I'm obviously very boring. We go out for walks quite a lot at the weekends as we live near Derbyshire but its not that near and Im not cycling there, training or not!

Quite like the idea of taking bikes with us though, Im clearly a fair weather cyclist. Need to buy some bikes first though if I wanted to ride anywhere!

Havnt ridden a bike for, ooh, well lets just say some years ago. LOL

Rachel
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

Forgot to add :oops:

Rachel if you thought I was 'having a go' on a personal level, please accept my apologies. That is not what I intended in any way. :oops:

I'm just very passionate about cycling...
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

the thing is that i agree with all that you say WC, it's a sham and will not likely be adressed so long as those in power are content with their tax powered "official" transportation.
Bah Humbug
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

wafflycat wrote:I've yet to see a sign direected at motorists saying. "Stop car here get out and push" which is the equivalent of "Cyclists dismount" that fester farcilities with herring abandon. Oops.. rantette developing...

'herring' abandon? LOL! I didn't type that!
ged
Lively Laner

car

Post by ged »

Hi,
In my present circumstances I cannot do without my car as it is the only means of getting about that is practical.With petrol headed for 1.50 per litre by the autumn,it is however essential use only.We have a good public transport system though sadly 'the yob element' infest it like a plague out of control.
There is little provision for people with disability and the speed at which buses arrive/depart the stops leaves little time for safe passage or seating.It is IMHO,the whole infrastructure that needs revision,a return to community living rather than'out of town shopping'with gigantic stores.If we had traditional shops that were able to offer a selective choice then perhaps we would not need the car as much as is required today.
atb,
ged 8)
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I wonder what percentage of car drivers actually care about their contribution to traffic pollution, global warming and general expense etc ?

Plus of course there are some who believe that all these problems just don't exist.

Yes ged. It takes a brave person to buy a Village or Corner Shop nowadays.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

I totally agree with ged and richard, we have lost the community spirit, we have a corner shop but guess what it is Tes*o express which is quite expensive but as a community we all rely, the sad thing is the mom and pop store, was shut to make way for a larger supermarket a drive away. Now Tes*o have opened up all these littles express stores, it such a shame that a big faceless company has taken over the mom and pop littles shop, because we all need a corner shop.

I cycle because i can't drive, plus i only work locally, my family live close by as well so we can cycle or walk if we want to get together, my husband drives as he works shifts and has to drive through a scuzzy part of town, i would worry if he was leaving or going at ten, he does give a girl a lift to work, all very innocent i think, if there was something going on surely he would'nt tell me, she is 24 and polish bless her, i joke and say she can have you gift wrapped, really only joking.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
mikey
Lively Laner

cycle paths?

Post by mikey »

Interesting points on cycle paths, a few years back were I used to live the council with much fanfare installed a new clycle path alongside the main road. IE a white line painted on the tarmac and which only just covered the drains etc. As for the most dangerous bit of the road where cars pulled into a row of shops no line at all as it was felt the cycle path would be in the way of the cars! Not long after the grand opening we had a local election and the councillor came knocking on the door looking for votes. When asked if he had anything to do with the new path he was full of importance as to his roll in events, until I started to list all the dangers when using the new path. You have never seen someone backout of a conversation and leg it off down the path so quick. Never came around again asking for votes! I believe they should take the planners, councillors/politicians out sit them on a bike and make them ride up and down the wonders they build, maybe then we will get better cycle ways put in. Can't see it happening but!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

For those who have to drive, and it seems most do at some point or another, with the price of fuel being sky high at the moment, there are ways of getting more miles for your money.

For instance, if you are changing your car, try and buy one that is better on fuel economy, (smaller engine), and one that is in a lower tax and insurance bracket. I have an 8,000 miles per year limit which gives me a lower insurance.

How many times do you see those boy racers zooming past only to slam their brakes on at the next junction, they might as well be pouring their fuel down the drain. There is a method of driving which gives you more MPG, it is called defensive driving. The basics are that you plan ahead while you are driving, you don't leave things to chance. You ease off the acceletator well in advance to slow down, only braking gently at the last minute. You also accelerate gradually, the harder you put your foot down, the more it is costing you.

Most towns have a branch of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, they offer free training sessions.
http://www.iam.org.uk/

Be happy, Ilona
:-D
Last edited by Meanqueen on 02 May 2008, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

changing the tack of this thread slightly but not completely off topic, a friend of mine has just immigrated to New Zealand to join their navy, when he gets there his 15 year old son will be allowed to drive a car but will not be allowed to drive after dark or with any passengers in the car without adult supervision. I also believe that there are other safety clauses which apparently have been proved very effective.

Back on topic…… one of my worst nightmares (apart from white-van-gender-neutral-person) is the just-passed-their-test clan driving sporty hatchbacks at break neck speed. Would they still be driving at this speed if they couldn’t have their chums in the car with them? What if the 16 year old scooter gaggle weren’t allowed out after dark? Actually I really think that scooters should only be ridden by folk who can prove that they need them for transport, it seems to me that they are just another toy for thrill seekers; I never needed one, in fact I didn’t have a car until I was 22. In those days the train was still relatively inexpensive and you could take your racing bike on them as well.

End of moan and nostalgic wistfulness.
:shock:
Bah Humbug
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I ran home from work yesterday - well it's faster than walking 5 miles - but I can only do that on the journey home (no staff showers at school) and in daylight (half of it is unlit country roads and cross-country). I can probably cadge a lift there once a week and run home again. So that's 13 car-miles saved as the road distance is further.

If I gave up the car I'd have to give up the gardening jobs.
There's no cure for stupidity.
ged
Lively Laner

car

Post by ged »

8)
Well done Heebie......!
Given the days gone by when I could run 2 miles in under 11 mins during my Army days.I went for a short walk yesterday and ended up totally wrecked for the evening(Bad M.E day)I am thinking of volunteering my sister(MS) and me for spare part surgery!Lol.I do support my corner shop where possible and always walk to and from same resisting the temptation to just jump in the car for a 'round the block' trip.
Given that my Mother used to shop on a daily basis and still does(aged 83)all requirements went in 2 bags at most.I could do the same as I have the time,not everybody does especially in an enviroment that seems to be getting faster(if possible)As the monopoly is held by supermarkets now it is difficult to juggle a balance,individual circumstances dictate.In the main,if we continue to produce what we can,where we can,to fulfil our needs foodwise,then that is the best option for reducing car use at present IMHO.
Until such time as we can source a viable alternative to petrol that does not plunge the infrastructure of life into chaos then we have to compromise on that which is workable and that which is not.There is at least one town in England that does not have a supermarket giant,so providing people unite,anything is possible.
atb
ged )t' ^b:
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

running, whats that?

my legs are aching just from starting to walk to school. HOW BAD IS THAT!? Its not even that far. I am a lazy moo.

Rach
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

wafflycat wrote:Forgot to add :oops:

Rachel if you thought I was 'having a go' on a personal level, please accept my apologies. That is not what I intended in any way. :oops:

I'm just very passionate about cycling...

sorry WC, just saw this, no offence taken, each to their own I say.

I used to be like that about smoking being an ex smoker.

Im just off to the park now with my little girl so she can ride her bike so Im making a start, even if Im not riding!

Everyone is feeling the pinch though, I saw my sister in law yesterday and she has a great big 2.8 gas guzzling chrysler thingy and is selling it as cant afford to run it anymore, she is spending £200 a month in petrol alone, ridiculous, she dosnt even go that far in it. Told her about me giving up my car and she wants to buy mine so Im quite pleased about that.
Had to use our car once this week as where I was going was too far to walk and It really annoyed me! Maybe I will cycle yet. LOL

Rach