Any Frugal Insulation Tips ?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
tiredeyes
Learner Laner

Re: Any Frugal Insulation Tips ?

Post by tiredeyes »

Hi last year I stuck large sheets of bubble wrap to my bathroom windows.

Although they were double glazed that were 25 years old and not brilliant

As I don't look out of them there was no loss of sunshine but it did feel a degree or two warmer than the year previous

If you use the spray glue type stuff they peel off quite nicely
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good tip that one and I guess the pattern makes no difference if it's a bathroom or toilet window.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
purplefrog
Learner Laner

Post by purplefrog »

Always ALWAYS shut the curtains when it gets dark. I'm trying to instill it into my kids as habit, you can feel the difference in heat conservation massively. And I had slight drafts around some windows which have not been replaced as recently as the others - stuck some Sealing Tape around them and it's helping for the moment.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Greetings purplefrog and welcome to The Lane )t'
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
homerj
Learner Laner

Post by homerj »

)ot: a little but....
B & Q have 400 mm loft insulation for 3 quid a roll I noticed today that has to be a steal doesn't it?
[center]A wise old owl lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?[/center]
kentcobnut
Learner Laner

Post by kentcobnut »

No need to glue bubble wrap to windows in winter,just spray window with water and place your pre cut bubble wrap on window.It will stay there for months at no cost and no mess in the spring.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Just reinforcing the subidised insulation message - most of the DIY stores have heavily subsidised rolls under previous government scheme.

You can buy heat reflective curtain liners to hang behind main curtains (Dunelm Mill used to have them, and probably many others besides), which are probably worth the money - not sure on cost. Roller blinds - attach layer of polythene to the back - advice from Historic Scotland, as was insulating any shutters. Also, a house I visited recently had the sort of curtain pole that hinges at one end to swing across, and the lady had made padded and embroidered hangings that looked lovely and then swung across the window to be the heaviest of curtains.
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

I use bubblewrap to insulate pipes even the external farm pipes and my water well. My son is living in a static caravan on the farm whilst building himself a cob house, he uses bubblewrap on the windows and the glass doors. I also use it in the polytunnel to insulate the winter vege and the over-wintering stuff. I beg, borrow or steal this stuff, I have yet to buy it new. I use curtains at the external doors.Line all curtains even if you have to use old sheets (2nd hand shop often have them). I have roller blinds as well curtains. These were very 2nd hand so I remade them with second hand curtains. My attics have the minimum amount of proper lagging plus insulating board ( large sheets of polystyrene) that were begged from a demolition site. I covered cardboard with foil to drop down the back of the radiators - helps throw back the heat.