Newspaper logs

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Newspaper logs

Post by Richard »

Has anyone used anything like this, made their own etc.

How did you get on?

Get what you're looking for. Visit the Down the Lane Shopping Pages. Thank you
Last edited by Richard on 29 Aug 2008, 00:16, edited 2 times in total.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Living a Greener life

Post by AnnaB »

Yes Richard we've tried it in the past - once! Chris used an old tight leg. It was really messy soaking loads of paper. When it dried it did burn. I think you have to be really dedicated to do this.
As far as using most of the stuff that goes on the compost heap I think we will stay composting.
We get lots of 'free' wood for our wood burning stove either from people who have had work done or our own when tree cutting is necessary.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

An old, tight leg? Whose?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah, I've read it again. I understand now.
jill
Learner Laner

Post by jill »

Yes Richard. I have the type on the right hand side of the page. It makes a brick size 'log' and burns ok, not brilliant, but ok (not much heat). The problems with using this is the mess. Imagine 30 toddlers trying to make papier mache! Also, everything gets very black from the ink in the newsprint.
Then, once you have made the bricks, they have to dry. And dry, and dry. Mine took an entire summer in the greenhouse. Not something to be done one day for burning the next.
Storing them was another problem as they have to be kept somewhere dry and they take up quite a bit of space.
But if you want to give it a go here's what you do: soak newspaper in an old washing up bowl preferably overnight. Give it a swish every now and then. When you go back to it in the morning it will have disintergrated into a mush. Now, gather handfuls of that mush and squeeze into balls. Place onto something like a cake rack and allow to dry.
Use them like coal. Again, they're ok, not brilliant.
So how many times have I done this? Once.
Would I do it again? Only if I had too!!!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

On a horsey forum I go on they are trying to make 'pooh' bricks to burn on the fire. I am waiting anxiously for someone to succeed as number one daughter has a 17.1hh TB/ID and a 18.1hh Shire horse. Loadsa pooh bricks for us :-D
Richard

Post by Richard »

Guess it's a bit the same as Peat?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Is that pure poo, or poo + shavings (we've got loads of that, my adult daughter seems to be collecting horses).
Let me know if it suceeds and doesn't smell too aweful!!!
ged
Lively Laner

paper logs

Post by ged »

:mrgreen: Hi All,
first off,why an old tight leg? Was this not a frugal example of recycling?Was it not 2 legs,1 inside the other?Perhaps I digress,it is late/early.
I make bricks every week with said brick maker,it is messy,but then I am not a purist and I like a bit 'o' mess now and then!(deprived childhood,no papier mache)I dry mine on a pallet under cover and they are a useful supplement to the wood.I shred my paper first and make a good goo the day before,let stand overnight and hey presto!My bricks usually take about a week to dry!I do not trust the so called recycling efforts of my local council as all the recyclable material goes in the same lorry!I am now saving some paper for pot making for seeds.
atb
ged
ps,
my daughter used to sell tights and her best customer was a lady with 1 leg!
)t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Newspaper logs

Post by AnnaB »

ged
You get worse.....!!
Digger07
Learner Laner

Post by Digger07 »

I saw the tube type log maker at the centre for alternative technology but thought that the price was a bit steep. Looked in a few skips and found some old rainwater down pipe which I cut up into lengths about 750mm long.

Packed the paper using a length of old broom handle and the finished article is great.

Takes a bit of time to get the hang of it but now a log takes less than a minute to make, no drying needed and burns well.
James
Lively Laner

Post by James »

I burn all our old newspapers on the fire anyway. just rolling them up really tight, and put them into the fire when it is hot. they last longer than expected and add a bit of extra time to your fire.
Exchanging home grown fruit and vegetables
http://www.VegExchange.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

I've put a page up, with Video 'how to', on this.

I've found them quite easy, bit messy, but I like that !

Click here to see
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I saw it thanks. )t'

I'm a bit put of by the drying time and the space.
I am limited (Very) on space.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Richard - the video was really interesting - funnily enough my daughter & I were only discussing these yesterday. How long do you think one would last on an open fire? Do they burn really quickly?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com