Is buying a diesel car more frugal than buying a petrol one?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
saint-spoon

Re: Is buying a diesel car more frugal than buying a petrol

Post by saint-spoon »

Stig wrote:Incidentally I spotted this in the paper over the weekend which suggests that current thinking is coming round to the idea that diesel is not such a green choice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... roads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i think that Mr King’s comment about councils plundering the diesel car so as to balance their books speak volumes as does the comments from named heads of two of the biggest motoring organisations (one of which is a professor) about properly maintained diesel engines. The use of words such as “Linked” and “possible” by people known only as spokespersons from campaign groups or the leaders of the councils justifying the raising the parking charge doesn’t in my mind prove how much more damaging diesel engines are; politicians and active campaigners don’t tend to be the most reliable sources of factual or unbiased information in my experience.
It is good for the debate though so thanks for bringing that to the table.
Bah Humbug
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

I comute 40 miles a day to work in my 03 vw passat tdi sport. I put £22 of diesel in the tank a week and drive very frugaly 6th gear 55 mph, minimum braking etc. £22 to do 200 miles is pretty good I think. Its a big car but the engine is not far off tick over at 50-55 mph so is not doing much work. Air con is off by the way!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Our old Townace was diesel and we found that very economical. Now both cars are petrol. However our fuel is cheaper than UK (something cheaper for a change)
Diesel is €1.51 = £1.29
Petrol is €1.53 = £1.30
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We prefer petrol to diesel as we don't really do a lot of miles. We have a Blue Efficency car although not quite sure what that means, I'm sure OH knows as he chose it. Our car is a bit on the big side for 2 people but we wanted an estate for the dogs and it's also useful for endless trips to B&Q and also for trips to the local tip too.
Lyn

Post by saint-spoon »

It’s funny that this one has come about again just as my focus estate in in the garage awaiting a new gearbox which is going to cost almost as much as the car is worth… poor design of a part apparently which causes quite a few of them to break down. {mr.angry} {cry}
Bah Humbug