free petrol?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
misty
Legendary Laner

free petrol?

Post by misty »

I always think that stuff like this is a con. What do you guys thinks as some of you seem to know your way around these sites?
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

i am on line with virgin
i can have a number of email adresses
so i do have one that i use for things like this
that way i only go/check it very rarly
i will give it a go
any spam that gets sent to it will never be read so who cares
it it is spamed i will let you know
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Personally I would not take part in this, Misty. It seems to have the same principal as pyramid selling, and the only people to benefit from that are the ones who instigate it. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Sorry, but I am cautious, don't believe everything I read.

Ilona
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

When I saw the heading free petrol I thought it was going to be relating to biodiesel.

Just thought I would mention something that is causing me confusion (easily done!). My hubby's friend runs a car and regularly buys ordinary vegetable oil to put in the petrol tank. I seriously thought my hubby was pulling my leg. Apparently our mate says he has been doing this for some time, car works fine and it works out more economical per litre.

Is this feasible? Or is it a new urban myth? confused>
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

DOH!!!! :oops:

Forgot to mention the mate does use fuel as well as the oil!!!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

you have to have some conversions done in order for it to work properly and reduce the emissions, you are also supposed to declare what you use as fuel to the tax office.
Bah Humbug
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

The price of vegetable oil has gone up so much it's hardly worth the hassle. My car used to smell like a chip shop as I used ordinary veg oil. You can now use quite a large amount without having to declare it.
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

My understanding is that it is diesel cars that can use veg oil. The diesel engine was developed to use poor quality fuel in WW1?

Anyway, the increase in biofuel production has increased the price of veg oil to the point where it's not economical if you're buying from the supermarket.

There was a chap arrested by Customs leaving A S D A in Swansea with 100 litres for his car and taken to court.

Best way to cut fuel costs are to drive less, drive thoughtfully and use more economical cars. Our Astra ECO gets 70 mpg on diesel.
dogrusty
Learner Laner

fuel for all

Post by dogrusty »

Rudolph Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil. Oil companies approached him, with an unsaleable by product to see if it could be used in his engine. He reworked the design, the oil companies named the new fuel after him.

In 1912, On his way to a meeting with the French military, to show them how his engine could be run on vegetable oil, saving them a fortune on imported refined oil, he mysteriously disappeared off the ferry.

He was by this time a multi millionaire, in good health with a bright future ahead of him.

You'll draw your own conclusions i'm sure.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
If it is broke i'll usually take it home.