Freebies!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
stuartdobson
Learner Laner

Freebies!

Post by stuartdobson »

Free Accomodation when Travelling

This is one of the most important websites of our time! It should be up there with E-Bay and Yuwie.

If you're travelling on a budget, or even just keen to meet people (you don't even have to be travelling!) this is an amazing system.

It allows you to make friends all over the world and then, they give you free accomodation! Ideally you should return the favour, but it's not even essential. You can let someone different stay with you, if you want to. It's all just a big network of cool people being kind to each other - if only there were more things like this!

This is a great example of how human beings generally ARE kind and generous!

http://www.couchsurfing.com

(Sorry, have deleted the Dating Sites, we're all OK on here I think! - Richard)

Creating Ebooks for Free

It became apparent to me that a lot of people don't know how to make PDF files (which are essentially E-Books) without the use of an expensive program like Adobe Acrobat.

Well thank uncle Stuart once again because I have a solution!

You can turn anything into a PDF file using an amazing free program called: PDF995.

It requires you to install its Printer driver and then to create a PDF file, you simply "print" to that printer. It then asks you to save the PDF file.

It's not 100% perfect and it's quite limited if you really want to get into professionally making e-books, but to start with, it's a fabulous, low resource, and best of all, simple, solution.

Download it here.

http://www.pdf995.com/
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

Thats a great idea.
You havent much money but you want to travel.
What better way then have your host on hand to advise you on the local area.
And if your lucky have a experienced guide to show you the sights.
Fantastic way to meet new friends.
A stranger is only a stranger until you say "Hello"
stuartdobson
Learner Laner

Free Novel Writing Software

Post by stuartdobson »

Free Novel Writing software

I've been trying to write a novel for some time now, but sitting in front of a blank word processor screen is brain numbing. There are a number of novel writing programs out there, all for about £30-50, but doing some research I managed to find a free one!

http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter4.html

It's great because it lets you create your characters, scenes, events and locations without having to worry about how they go into the story, so you don't need to write in a very thought intensive linear way. Great for organising your ideas! Plus its full of tools and add ons.
musicdaz73
Lively Laner

hmmm sounds interesting

Post by musicdaz73 »

But,we do have to be cautious here dont we? after all who's to say that we are not letting murderers,rapists or criminals stay over at our houses.

I like to meet new people but would like to know everything about the potential house guest before they come to stay.

Ps.Great idea though.
musicdaz73
Lively Laner

i agree

Post by musicdaz73 »

you are right my friend,i dont really know why i replied to be honest lol
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Your comment was valid, musicdaz, I wouldn't want strangers in my house either. All opinions are welcome, following the code of good manners, that's what makes it an interesting forum.

Ilona
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

These posts are not spam I can assure you.
Lots of people enjoy couch surfing and I am sure they choose who they stay with very carefully. Its not for all of us but there are people out there visiting our site who just might get a great idea.
After all I thought this site was for people coming together to share their ideas and get inspiration. Not forgetting help to save money.
As for the novel information, I think this could be of help to anyone thinking of writing. They say theres a book inside everyone.

Evie
musicdaz73
Lively Laner

A book inside everyone?

Post by musicdaz73 »

Ive written my book inside of me except i transferred it

into song and lyrics.

a shameless self promotion haha

the link to my songs is down there.

sorry

thanks
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

We'll let this one go for now then !!

Stuart - Where are you at with your frugal lifestyle, do you have a self reliant streak, keep a few hens or grow your own veg ?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
musicdaz73
Lively Laner

just starting

Post by musicdaz73 »

we have just started out on the self sufficient lifestyle by getting a country cottage down a peaceful lane,the lady who lived there had 4 hens which were good layers but she took them with her so we are sourcing our own little flock,there is also a good veg garden ready for harvesting as well as a herb garden and fruit trees.
weve got a cellar too so im buying some brewing kit for wine and ale.

I will keep you posted on our progress,we are ready for the hard work ahead!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Sounds good - plus much inspiration for music as well !

Good luck with it. )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome