Ironic or what?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
taff
Longlasting Laner

Ironic or what?

Post by taff »

Last week I bought a scondhand greenhouse for £50 off a bloke that runs the place my boyfriend works at.
Today we put up the frame ( not that much swearing was involved surprisingly - we did it without instructions, he said he'd lost them, but we later found them in a tin in a bucket with the bits) and as we stood admiring our handiwork, the next door neighbour piped up with
"If you'd let me know you were looking for one, you could have had mine for nothing"

DOH!!

I did tell him I could always use two though ;)
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

So disheartening. :cry: I was looking for a greenhouse on ebay, missed a few because the bidding went too high, so I made one out of free timber and pallets, and plastic sheeting. Then I came home and saw my next door neighbours destroying their greenhouse, half of it was smashed in the skip, I could have cried. :cry: We could have probably walked the frame a hundred yards into my garden. They are the neighbours who throw perfectly edible fruit and veg in their wheelie bin, yike*

Ilona
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

What a waste eh? Why smash a perfectly good greenhouse up instead of offering it around first?
Looove chucks!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's what some of the younger generation are like, throw everything in the bin. They are 2 high earning 20's women, the elderly couple who lived there before were so proud of themselves that they had erected it themselves.

I have retrieved from next door, a dining table, and a pine kitchen table with two bench seats, and some fitted wardrobes, that they had put out on the yard for chucking. Unbelievable.

Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

There is nothing more frustrating is there!

I've taken down and re-assembled two Greenhouses and it was a nightmare!

But as you say - it's all worth it and one benefit is that on a sunny Winters day, you can sit in it and read the paper!
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Meanqueen wrote:So disheartening. :cry: I was looking for a greenhouse on ebay, missed a few because the bidding went too high, so I made one out of free timber and pallets, and plastic sheeting. Then I came home and saw my next door neighbours destroying their greenhouse, half of it was smashed in the skip, I could have cried. :cry:
Ilona

I empathise deeply...it really really REALLY annoys me when I see people throwing perfectly usable stuff away.
We should be like Germany ( unless it's an urban myth) and put out anything from the house we don't want any more one day a week or once a month for other people to pick over.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I lived in Stuttgart for 18 month's and they do that - great idea. I had a weany Flat and furnished it all from stuff left outside peoples houses !
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

I know what you mean, my neighbours have a greenhouse that has never ben used in the 6yrs i lived here, one day im going to end up knocking on their door saying look if your never going to use it ill have the flipping thing. I so badly want a greenhouse :cry:

When i got my guinea pig hutch it was on the side of the road with a free sign on it, the lady was going to take it to the tip till her freind made her put the sign on it and give it away. It costs £100 in the shops and its almost new!

I got my water butt from my bro-in-law this year as he was going to take it down the tip.
Whats wrong with people. )de:
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

It's funny isn't it - oh well, if everyone was the same.........

I never have such luck with unwanted greenhouses etc - I wish!! (f+
Small steps lead to big changes
Dragon
Learner Laner

Post by Dragon »

Both our greenhouses are actually conservatories, rescued from other people; luckily, we had a convenient wall to put them against. They're great, but a lot harder to dismantle and reassemble than proper greenhouses!

Last month, my neighbour picked up a laptop computer from a skip; why was it in a skip, you ask? The keyboard was damaged. Fifteen quid for a replacement later, free £349 laptop. It came complete with bank account details of the woman who binned it, as well as her email, work log-in details, and passwords for the account of the charity she worked for, so if we were less honest, we could have stolen everything.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Makes me mad! Why not advertise it in the local paper - anything under £200 is free to put in here, so that would include free!
Of course part of the problem is not talking, if we all gossiped over the garden fence, the aforementioned neighbours would know you wanted a shed, and you would know they didn't...
And they should be told about freecycle!
I have occasionally put something out the front with a note saying "help yourself", bit tricky with a greenhouse though' !
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Very frustrating...

Here in Glasgow we have a seperate collection for the 'big bits' you have to put everything out by 11 am

I have seen an amazing amount of perfectly good items on my walk to the station anoying as it has been put out the night before and has been ruined in the rain, nd that many of the charity shops (most based less than a street or two away) will come and pick up for free and then give them to people who could use them confused>
teenee60
Lively Laner

Post by teenee60 »

When in Spain people just put large or re-usable things at the side of the comunal bins,for people to help themselfs if it is wanted/usefull.we put our old sofa at side of bin....1/2hour later gone.We got a great patio table and chairs from side of the bin,not a white plastic on either,although nothing wrong with white plastic!!!