Oil rayburn

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
p.penn

Oil rayburn

Post by p.penn »

I feel EXTREMELY worried about our heating. We had an oil rayburn fitted 5 years ago instead of a fitted kitchen. It was a HUGE decision. It is slightly old fashioned in that it reverts to drip feed in a power cut but its benefit is it still works during them - we get rather a lot. Also, it is on tickover all the time giving a gentle ambient heat. It does all the cooking, hot water and dries the washing. A second burner heats the rads in the winter. We don't have the heating bit on until dec & finish mar-april, not long as the heat from the cooker side helps.

We WERE doing just about ok. Until the oil crisis. I have just had the annual statement for oil. 10 months ago it cost £320 to fill our tank. That was already outrageous as at one point it was £90. :shock:

In the summer, with cooking, hot water, clothes drying, ambient heat and comfort blanket a tank lasts app 15- 16 weeks. I dont cook sunday roasts in the summer. In the winter, with BOTH burners going - heating on a timer, it lasts 8 - 10 weeks. So we were JUST about managing. I have recently filled the tank - £620!

I am SO worried. We are TOTALLY reliant on the rayburn and its' functions. Our house is pretty damp between seasons and now it's no problem. Washing dries in the summer, cooking is a breeze,my grandchildren are warm enough.....

What AM I going to do if oil continues to increase in price? :cry:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com