How long could you survive with out............

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Katt
Learner Laner

Post by Katt »

going to the shops?

Just a quickie, how long could you and your family eat from what you have in your cupboards, freezer, pantry right now?

Having had a quick look at my own stockpile, including frozen meat, organic of course, plus the dried goods, tinned goods and homemade jams,wine and chutneys. I think that I could live very well for at least eight weeks or frugally for at least three/four months.
I always have dried beans ,lentils and peas in. I've got about 3 packs of flour, 3 tins dried milk and quite a few tins of fish and so on.
Knowing how much food stuffs you have right now how long could you and yours manage?
wendy

Post by wendy »

My OH does the shopping. I fear if we had a siege in this house it would be a good 6 months before they got them out.
We have two chest freezers for us and one for the dog food.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
fenlander
Lively Laner

Post by fenlander »

As its time to clean out the freezer not long as we start to empty them so that it can go off. Under normal circumstances about 2mths i would think
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

With whats in the freezers, cupboards and the garden I'd say 3 months. Wine and beer no, I buy it when its on offer sometimes we have loads and other times its sparse.
Does shopping online count (Not supermarket schemes)??
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

:oops: a week, 2 if i push it

roll on pay day tomorrow!

(but ive always got petrol in my car to get to one of you!! :wink: )
Katt
Learner Laner

How long.............

Post by Katt »

Shopping on line is cheating!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've just had another quick look and yes I can live like the Katt that got the cream for a good while, forgot about the rice and pasta, iin the tins. As for wine, I've about 50 bottles of home brew and a couple of bought bottles left over from Christmas
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

About two weeks I guess

All round to Katt's I reckon!

Interesting.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

We'd "survive" on a supply of frozen and pickled chillies, brocolli, silverbeet and spring onions for about three weeks................yuk!
Of course.................there is always the option of a roast chook :shock:

So, no, I couldn't live without the shops!

cheers
Jodi
melons
Legendary Laner

I'd starve within a day

Post by melons »

We never have anything, it's all animal food, our fridge is like a typical student fridge, nothing! & we're both 40 :?
I do go through fazes of stock piling odd items, my OH ask's if there's been a war declared when I do it, it used to be tinned tom's, this week we have enough loo roll to sink a battle ship, not sure how I'd cook it :wink:
I have one small, & I mean small, courgette in the garden, along with a microscopic tomato plant.
Summary......we'd die of starvation.

(always a good stock of cheap Calais wine & beer though)
Cheers
mel x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I never have more than 2 weeks bread and milk in the freezer. But since we are over a mile from the local shops and 10 miles from big shops I have an 'if you open the last one, put it on the list' policy for everything else. So probably a month before we noticed except for getting used to powdered milk (I only use it for custard) and bread substitutes. Then we'd be improvising, but not starving.

I tend to wander round an all night ***** at 11, after dancing, as it's on my way home (going shopping feels like a waste of time and petrol), or top up locally in between.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Oh, fresh fruit and veg.
Does the local farm shop count? Otherwise its a teaspoon of fresh peas each (we've nearly finished the earlies and the lates haven't started), lettuce thinnings, and strawberries + frozen veg, and the 2 tomatos & 7 carrots that are in the fridge, and 3 apples in the bowl.
ged
Lively Laner

how long can you do without...?

Post by ged »

HI All,
Being solo,I try to have 6 months Dried/canned foodstuffs which is rotated every 3 months by daily usage.The hard things are wheat for grinding and water storage,though with organic water purifing nothing is impossible!I use tinned stuff for emergencies and like a lot of pasta dishes and rice dishes,curries and italian meals my faves! I make my own bread and rolls and pastry,plus cakes and biccys,though I am struggling with my weight!LOL :-D .I am brewing my own booze,this is good fun and it is amazing what is drinkable once brewed!I have a book called "drink your garden"!I have a wood burner and have never boughtany fuel for the 3 years its been in,its so hot after an hour that I have to have the kitchen door open!
atb
ged ^b:
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

ged how do u do it?

id love to be able to do all of that but dont have the means to do it!grrr

you lot on here are all so envieable
ged
Lively Laner

Post by ged »

Hi B Cos I Can! :mrgreen: It has taken me a few years to get to the point I am now and I'm still re-arranging things,making new plans and above all else,LEARNING from others!
Being on my own it is a lot easier for me ,than if I had a partner in life,I am financially stable and I dont need a lot of money to live my life as I wish,being financially stable is a great help!Being of dedicated purpose is another,its all or nothing with me,no half ways,or that will do,its got to be all I can muster at a project and then some!there is so much advice out on the www and from forum members alike,take a look at the following if you have not come across them already, www.pathtofreedom.com
www.sixredheads.com,selfsufficient-ish. ... .com.These sites provide so much valuable info,Anyone with any space at all can grow some food,bake their own bread etc,it is having the will to do so and do it well!
I wish you every success in your path to a better,richer,life!
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, it is having the will, or not.
30 something years ago we moved to this house with a half acre garden, surrounded by fields.
I spent the first 4 years digging for veggies, and planting / weeding /picking fruit. Then, as the children had started school, I got a part time job at a Playgroup and enjoyed the company (the money was useless) so stopped feeling driven to be self- sufficient. So I only grew the vegs we liked (no more purple sprouting broccolli). And when the fox got the 2nd lot of hens (1st lot were taken by human foxes), we stopped keeping them too. Came back to hens after more than 20 years when the frugal urge have been overtaken by the green urge (and I didn't trust supermarket eggs, even if they said free range on the box), but spent lots on a posh arc, since the home-made one hadn't kept them safe.