Why are you frugal?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.

Why are you frugal?

Because I need to (Financialy)
33%
Because it helps (Financialy)
15%
Because it helps (Ethicaly)
18%
Because it's fun or it's just the way I am.
33%

Total votes: 33

Orfy
Legendary Laner

Why are you frugal?

Post by Orfy »

Do you partake because you need to or because you want to?

I guess the majority probably do it because it helps.

At present I need to.
I can also say I'm doing my bit for the green thing.
I also hate giving my money to corporations I don't like/agree with.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Can I have 3 votes. Or maybe 4.
As a child we had to.
As a young stop at home wife I was doing my bit for the household budget, and to get us the house we wanted and pay off the mortgage.
Now I feel I should for 'green' reasons.
And I have the ingrained habit of thrift (did I hear someone call me mean).

One thing I'm learning is that you can't measure everything by money saved, sometimes you have to spend more to be green.
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I do it because I like doing it, it gives me a secret thrill to have something for nothing, I love skip-hunting, and freebies ( if they're useful) are the icing on the cake.
It's nice to buy new things occasionally, although my heart almost stopped when I had to buy a new bed last year, but it should last quite a few years so it's not that expensive I suppose.
So far this year, the biggest thrill was building the raised beds out of free wood.
And bartering some plastic barrels for manure in the autumn. (guaranteed aminopyralid free - phew)
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

The older I get, the more meaner I get. I am a drop out.

Ilona
ged
Lively Laner

how frugal are you

Post by ged »

:-D
Hi!
I am frugal because I never used to be in younger days,now I really enjoy stretching my cash and getting value(to me) for that which I spend.Amazingly,having been on my own for 10 years now,I am better off financially than I have ever been in my life!It is often fun using ingenuity to shop wisely and ethically.

Meanqueen.....the more you practice a discipline,the better you become.......!
atb
ged ^b:
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

I put because i need to, but also because its green, i am currently going round turning everything off by the plug this is a new thing for me so hoping this will be reflected in my bills, as per fuel consumption poll i am paying £180 a month now for gas and elec combined. I always hang my washing out there is only a few months were i don't.

I wish i could be more frugal in my pursuit of items from shops i don't need, i am really going to be good and not buy any clothes till the christmas sales and only them some lovely woolly jumpers hopefully half price.

Very frugal tonight on my own for tea so went to shops to get a loaf and saw a finest range mousaka reduced not by much though and love mousaka, and didn't get it got my loaf and stuff on toast, the loaf will last longer, and plus used what i had in as do throw stuff away, trying not too.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Definitely needed 3 votes, it helps fnancially and ethically (how has the world become so dreadfully wasteful??), but I really do find it fun hunting out what I want or need!
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

I need several votes too !!

Was brought up in a Frugal house because we had to be, also had to be when I was a student and in first jobs.

Now that I am "comforable" it is just a habit OR ... Am I comfortable because I was/am Frugal mmmm??

Also the whole consumerism thing makes me feel a bit funny how much stuff do we actually need and does it make us happy

I am pretty frugal but I don't feel deprived in any meaningful way I guess then it is partly the way I am

Good Poll its making me think about this