Getting ready for Winter

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Getting ready for Winter

Post by Richard »

I'm sure some of you must be going around the home and outside now looking for ways to cut down wastage and finance.

Anyone up to anything with Winter in mind?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Getting ready for Winter

Post by jannie »

We finished filling the log store 2 weeks ago .. good feeling knowing that British Gas won't be getting our hard earned cash again this winter. )t'

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Wow, Jannie - that's a fab log store and loads of logs! envy}}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

That is so neat and tidy, and Full bet it feels really good to know you have that sorted for winter.
Sara

Post by Sara »

We are having our wood delivered today..... 10 meter cubes that will need cutting to size and stacking;. )t'

Other than that, the usual, changing the summer curtains for thick winter curtains, sweep chimneys, putting rugs down on the hard floors and generally tidying up for winter..... Put the garden away and add a little insulation to the walls of the chooks shed. )t'

I love getting ready for winter :oops:
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Sara wrote: Other than that, the usual, changing the summer curtains for thick winter curtains, sweep chimneys, putting rugs down on the hard floors and generally tidying up for winter..... Put the garden away and add a little insulation to the walls of the chooks shed.

>dowhat< Now that has really brought it home to me how disorganised I am! The only thing I do is change into my winter jim jams.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've just discovered that I never swapped my duvets over - I have been sleeping on the summer one and under the winter one, all summer (what summer?)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Sara

Post by Sara »

Hhahaha Helen...... That is what i am supposed to do... I will only have one set of curtains to change as the winter ones are still up from last year... {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I need to sort out the front door - there's a huge gap underneath it at the moment. I also need to put some slabs down to make stepping stones across to the compost bins & the chicken run, before the wet weather sets in & turns everything in to a mud-bath.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

This morning I've been to coffer the cook run with a big piece of plastic partly for rain proof, I need to modify it so I can make itso I can purge sides down in winter and up in summer, we don't have any other option for heating the house other than gas unfortunately, I'm going to make some draught excluders over the next few weeks for the doors x
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I've found the draft excluders, unpinned the door curtains (screaming at the ENORMOUS spiders that lept out).

I've been under the bed and dragged out the winter clothes bags, washed them and put them, well in the ironing bag, I'm not that organised.

Phoned the boiler bods to get them to do its yearly check now, rather than December.
I have searched out my rather fetching hat, scarf and glove combos. They go into the wash next!

Greenhouse is to be cleared next weekend. Door closed. Veggie patches have been cleared by chickens. I'll do the rest at half term.

Oil tank is just about full. Coal/wood needs to be brought in.

I may actually have got myself almost sorted for a change!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

got woolies out ,emptied wellies of spiders, deeplittered hen house ,put sunglasses and sun lotion on ebay {rofwl} stocking up on freezer freezables tidying in garden ,and finally chucked flip flops in bin {cry}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

jannie wrote:We finished filling the log store 2 weeks ago .. good feeling knowing that British Gas won't be getting our hard earned cash again this winter. )t'

Your store looks great, very neat. What size is it ?
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thanks Barrie. )t'

The store is just over 3 metres long by 1 metre deep. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

We're having some new/extra loft insulation put in next week, took advantage of a special offer.

Hoping it'll make a difference - our home is cold at the best of times, as it's quite open plan downstairs and the heat just goes up and out! .sn<

Our mattress is a Tempur one, it gets nice and warm and cosy so we don't need to change the quilt to a winter one.

I made some nice soup for the freezer last week )c+ )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.