Cost of Home Energy per month

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.

What are your total Gas / Electricity / Other Fuel costs per month?

Under £50
8%
£50 - £75
20%
£75 - £100
24%
£100 - £125
18%
£125 - £150
10%
£150 - £200
18%

Total votes: 49

jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

im more aware now of how much fule we are using i would love one of those thing that richard put up then i could tell the kids to take a look
like you chickentina i have five although only four at home now the big ones like to leave lights on and things pluged in when they go to bed but they havent got t.v.s in their rooms, my daughter has her laptop on charge all the time )de: )de: )de: and mobile phones.drives me mad going behind them all the time )ang )ang i tell them im thinking of their childrens future but then i get im not having any what can i say.

jo x
sunny skies
Learner Laner

Post by sunny skies »

I've just upped my electricity to £20/month based on last night's readings, gas is still at £40/month - I don't think this is too bad, I'm quite pleased with how careful we are.
That's for 2 people living in a 2-bed 2-living area house.
We've just recently bought a PS3 which I think is why the electricity has just gone up lol ... :-)
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I think I'd have a nervous breakdown if I had one of the usage gadgets - I'm really careful but everyone else comes home and all gadgets in the house instantly go on. Hubby gets quite grumpy when he's on the computer and I ask if he's actully watching the TV at the same time....

And I doubt the majority of people realise how much more electricity digital devices use compared to "normal", and we are all being forced to use digital at a time when prices are skyrocketing anyway, and don't even get me started on the waste of all the tellys and radios going into landfill.....
Ed Jones
Learner Laner

Post by Ed Jones »

Oil averages £60 mth, Elec £28, Water £30

I've recently changed from British Gas for the leccie, they wanted over £50/mth, funny that everything still works with this cheaper stuff (from Eon) I've just had dealings with our water board, they were estimating from a time when we had 30 cattle drinking from the mains, and charging us over £50/mth for water. We eventually had the meter read and we'd saved up £180 with the bank of welsh water who were happy to keep our money and "put it against our next bill"...I had a word... and got a cheque for the money back and reduced the bill by £20/mth.

I'd rather sit in the living room with a coat and wooly hat on than turn the heating on, but my long suffering wife doesn't quite see it that way bless her.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

We swapped to Scot ish Pow er and they said it would be cheaper, I knew they had unserestimated my DD payment and when they wrote to me to increase from £160 to £299 :shock: I cancelled the DD mandate as they just ignored my emails.

This woke them up - but it meant that I was further behind and had to make a one-off payment £100 and increase the DD to £350 per month to 'catch up' yike* This is being reassessed after 3 months so WILL come down.

Did the usual comparisons but so little difference not worth the hastle of swapping. BUT I know they are wrong, I worked it out that we averaged £200 per month which is still horrendous.

Anyway the good news )t' I have finally got everyone to start switching the TV off when they finish watching it. And lights. I am hanging washing out to dry instead of relying on the tumble dryer.

The best thing is we hardly use the heating now. Last winter I really suffered as hubby had it on so much and so hot that I was sweltered. Now he doesn't want to give them all our money so its on 1 hr morning and 1 and 1/2 hrs evening so I am comfortable and everyone else is wearing a jumper )t' )t'
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

We are still using the large 4foot tall bottle of gas we purchased nearly 2 years ago. This is for the hob. Electric oven, 2kw panel heater (not in use yet-but it's getting colder), Lights, tele, 'puter, washing m/c, 2x freezers, 2x fridges, and a microwave. Unfortunatly for EDF, they've not managed to give me a correct bill in over a year, but at least it's in my bank earning me interest untill they get their act together, guess who's not pushing them?
I'm building this house to the design criteria of f*^t in the lounge monday and the bedrooms must still be warm sunday! Hopefully helped by solar water and underfloor heating.
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I can't believe it, :shock: incredible, my quarterly gas bill has arrived, surely something must be wrong :shock:

meter read by man on 19 August, read again by man on 20 November. 18 units of gas which converts to 201.33 kilowatt hours, used in 94 days at 7.149 pence per kwh, equals £14.39 plus vat = £15.10 to pay.

I have just checked the reading again and I have used 5 units in 6 days, this must be because I have put the gas fire on at odd times when it is freezing, mainly for the cats. I will give them hot water bottles in future. :-D

I am no good at working out figures so I will have to go along with this and pay it.

Ilona
red-rialto
Learner Laner

gas

Post by red-rialto »

I turned the gas off ages ago, took most of the bulbs out and replaced the others with led or low energy lamps. The gas board keep coming around and checking my meter as they think I am doing something dodgy with it as it never moves and they are not making any money out of me . My electric is about £30 a month.
We use the log burner for heating the house and a bit of cooking,dont have hot water and use the electric shower.
PINCH THAT PENNY UNTIL IT SCREAMS...........
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

My gas & leccie bills came last week - I always compare their estimate to actual readings and they are getting much better at it - I'd rather it was over-estimated just a bit (not too much in case the prices drop) than under.

So my gas bill is currently £18pm and leccie £35. I also seem to be in credit )c( but I'll leave it - this winter seems to be colder & damper (or am I getting older :oops: ) so I might be putting the heating on a bit more than usual.
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I've just had a letter this week to say that they are putting my monthly gas DD up by 50%. I rang them up and they won't alter it - said this is based on previous usage not price increases as I am on a fixed tariff. They overestimated my usage this quarter by 120 units... They said I will just have to wait until the end of the financial year to sort it out. Grrr!
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

Start off by saying that we live in one of those really big, really old houses with 14 foot ceilings. We also have lots of really big windows.

There's me and my wife and our three daughters.

During the summer we're about 30 electric and 5 pounds gas a month.

During the winter we're about 30 pounds electric and 50 pounds gas a month.

I'm quite glad that we don't have to deal very much with the gas and electric companies. We use a pre pay meter and yes I know that they're supposedly more expensive. BUT, I never have to worry about spending too much money on gas or having them overestimate the hundreds of things that they estimate. There are no surprise bills telling us that we owe 300 pounds a month. We pay for what we use before we use it and when it runs out, we know.

If it's earlier than normal, then we have a think about our finances and determine if we really need to up the heating or if we should use a wooly jumper.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I wish I could have such low bills - and I don't live in a big draught house with high ceilings and big wondows :?
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

I have just had my electric bill for the last quater, thought that it was going to be a bit steep as have had tumble and dishwasher on, but no builders in. The last bill was underestimated so i was really suprised to find that the bill was for £93.00, £31.00 per month, i think that the low energy light bulbs are really making a difference....
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Well done Spudley, it would make a bigger difference if you didn't switch the lights on at all, just give everyone a wind up torch
)j;

Ilona
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

LOL meanqueen, I have a wind up torch by the bed so I dont have to put the light on to go to the loo at night!!! the switch for the bedroom is not well placed. What we really need to do is stop eating, that would save us a fortune!
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills