Royal Canin & James Wellbeloved pet foods

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Royal Canin & James Wellbeloved pet foods

Post by HazellB »

Both of the above brands will be withdrawn from general sale as of this month, thanks to the parent company being a) stupid and b) greedy beyond words. )de:

They will not be supplying any wholesalers, so small pet food shops cannot get stocks of Canin or Wellbeloved feeds any more. You'll have to buy at full price from the makers via the web from now on, unless they supply chain pet stores (who again will charge full price) and vets directly. Either way, anyone buying from people like me who are small independant retailers who discount heavily will lose out.

Vote with your feet if you care about local traders and their staff, please. Use other brands of feed, there are plenty about and all offer as good or better products.

Just one more word - there is NO such thing as 'prescription' pet food. It's a name only, not a product. Canin and Hills both claim to make prescription diets and neither do. For example Canin's special Dalmation diet is just low animal protein complete food, not some wonder food including dr-ugs that stop Dalmations getting bladder stones )w( You get the same results with any number of other feeds.

Rant over. I feel better now {rofwl}
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
wendy

Re: Royal Canin & James Wellbeloved pet foods

Post by wendy »

I know how you feel Hazel, rant away.
I used to run a pet food delivery service and struggled when F & M was around. Then the wholesaler who used to deliver decided not to.
We went under {mr.angry} Fortunately we had no bills, so not a problem. But we weren't the only one around here, one pet shop went and another just about survived.
Then the wholesalers started to lose money, so rang and asked if I wanted a deliver. Got the sharp end of my tongue
You are right about the food, no such thing.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks for letting us know Hazel )t'

Have been reading the other thread in 'Pets' about dog foods with interest too.

I'm still debating what to give our Benny.

We've had him on James Wellbeloved since 2009 and have had no problems.

At the moment it is still available from our usual supplier, but I have opted for Burns instead this time.

I am thinking about the raw food diet as well, but it won't be for a few weeks now.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

My dogs get a mixture of Royal Canin Papillon Dry Food was well as veggies and raw meat, works perfect for them, I'm sad that I wont be able to get Royal Canin from our local shop any more.

Can anyone recommend a dry food for small dogs? I find the biscuits are always too big for them :?
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

I can thoroughly recommend this range of dog food, mine has been on it for over 2 years now, she's a really fussy eater (will go at least 4 days with no food rather than eat stuff she doesn't like or gets bored with yike* ) and she never refuses since she has had this. Has improved her coat, keeps her satisfied, is a good energy level for her breed, and to cap it all is cheaper than all the others we have tried )t' ....and they deliver

http://www.healthyoptionpetfoods.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Pleased to report that Benny has taken to his new Burns food very well.

He woofs it down, bless his furry paws {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t' Burns has a good reputation.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Our local pet store is still stocking it. I asked about this problem and he said he'll still be able to stock it, it's just to try to stop people selling it cheap from their houses )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Mad Chick wrote:Our local pet store is still stocking it. I asked about this problem and he said he'll still be able to stock it, it's just to try to stop people selling it cheap from their houses )t'

He's either buying it direct from the makers or he's not realised it's about to run out at his wholesalers would be my guesses.
Yes, it is to stop people selling it cheaply. Another way to look at it is that it's over-priced, high profit stock which wholesalers and retails like - and the customer is paying too much from now on )w(
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)