New fat saving chip pans

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

New fat saving chip pans

Post by Spreckly »

I don't know what else to call these pans, which are sometimes advertised on TV. The ad says they use one tablespoon of oil to cook a batch of chips, which sounds amazing. Has anyone got one, and if so, what do you think about them?
wendy

Re: New fat saving chip pans

Post by wendy »

I have one and have had it for over a year.
It is amazing. Not that we have chips that often. If you use oven chips then you don't need any fat at all.
I prefer to do my own and they are the best chips I have had for a long time and all for a spoonful of olive oil.
Expensive, but worth it in my mind, much healthier. Mine is an Actifry and it comes with a recipe book as well, it is surprising what you can cook in it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

We considered one but wanted to see one in action before we parted with £100+

No one we know has got one yet so we still do our chips in the oven.

Chip the spuds as usual, light spray of oil, half hour in the oven, they turn out pretty good, far better than shop bought oven chips.

Red spuds make the best chips we've found )t'
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think they look a great idea Mo, and they have excellent reviews on amazons.

If I ate chips much, I would definitely get one. I see you can cook sausages and allsorts in it too.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for your replies, folks, and Steve, thanks for info re cooking chips in the oven. I could live on them, but with raised cholesterol, they have to be a treat! Will try the oil spray method.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

My best friend has got the family size one of these and swears by it. I don't eat chips but OH, who was in the RAF for a few years, doesn't feel as though he is being properly looked after if he doesn't get chips twice a week. I HATE the smell of the deep fat fryer, he claims not to like oven chips so I've been thinking of getting one of these machines. I'll try the homemade oven chips version first and see how we go.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

bmpsands wrote:he claims not to like oven chips

I have to confess I'm a bit fussed when it comes to oven chips and prefer deep fried if possible - too often I find the potato in oven chips is too dry
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

A friend of mine has an actifry and she swears by it.
I am a slimming word member and make home made oven chips, pretty much like Steve does. They are nice and hubby says her prefers them to deep fried chips now. Best thing is I can have them on slimming world diet )t'
[center][/center]Davina
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Our chips cooked in the oven with a spoon of oil were a disaster, don't know what went wrong, but they were oozing in oil. So, back to the drawing board.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

davina112 wrote:I am a slimming word member and make home made oven chips, pretty much like Steve does. They are nice and hubby says her prefers them to deep fried chips now. Best thing is I can have them on slimming world diet )t'

the SW chip recipe is great it is how we do ours all the time, Maris piper potatoes are best IMO and if you cut them thick it works out really well. Quite simply you boil them for four minutes, allow to drain for ten and shake them about in the colander to get the outside fluffy before spraying with fry-light and roasting until crispy. I have a heavy roasting tin which crisps them up underneath, I like to put a tablespoon of olive oil and get it really hot before adding he chips.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I didn't used to boil mine - slice then soak for 15 mins to remove excess starch, then dry well. Pop into a bowl with 1 tbsp oil and some pepper (or whatever seasoning you fancy) then pop onto a baking sheet and cook.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
blondie
Lively Laner

Post by blondie »

i do what Steve does!except i cook my spud's whole in Micro for about 5 min's first,let them cool,then i slice into wedgee's or skinny chip's,spray with the oil,and cook on high in my little convection oven for about 20 min's, and they are crisp,and low in fat,delicious!
wendy

Post by wendy »

The nice thing about the actifry is on the SW diet you just count the tablespoon of olive oil. I syn If I remember correctly. )t'

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

wendy wrote:The nice thing about the actifry is on the SW diet you just count the tablespoon of olive oil. I syn If I remember correctly. )t'

Cough....cough....ex SW consultant here..... try 6syns Wendy!

If you really want healthy and syn free chips, choose floury spuds like maris piper, chip them, par boil for 5 mins, steam dry for a couple of mins and shake them up a bit to rough up the edges. Place on a baking tray, spray with Fry Light or oil spray which ever you prefer, season and bake for 20 mins. Turn them and bake for another 10mins.
They are delicious!
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
wendy

Post by wendy »

Actually I lie. :oops:
On the extra easy plan I am on. It comes as a Healthy eating.
So not 1 syn.