Cleaning Feathers

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
cherami
Learner Laner

Cleaning Feathers

Post by cherami »

For those of us who like to produce their own articles like pillows and quilts or even mattresses one needs feathers and the like, Chicken feathers are of course very good for insulation when packed. We regularly have Duck and Goose down and we would like to hear anyone who has managed a cheap way in which to clean and dry the feathers. There are several ways in which to do this job, but some of them sound rather expensive. >eas2<
I hope you have a pleasant journey through life.
manda

Re: Cleaning Feathers

Post by manda »

1/2 cup Corn meal
1 cup White flour
3 tablespoons Powdered borax

Bag

Put all the above into the bag pop the feathers in and shake the bag till the feathers are clean. Once they're clean take the feathers out and shake the powder off....if you've got a collander with decent sized holes that's good for this..just make sure you put something over the top so the feathers don't float all over the place .
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
cherami
Learner Laner

Re: Cleaning Feathers

Post by cherami »

)t' Thanks for reply. I will have to be careful to make sure what the ingredients are called here in France. This method sounds so much better than the washing method.

Q have you managed to make anything as yet?

Found this translation so will visit hardware shop for the borax
1/2 tasse de farine de maïs
1 tasse de farine blanche
3 cuillères à soupe de borax en poudre

Do I speak French I hear you say? I am lucky to remember what I am doing from day to day.
I hope you have a pleasant journey through life.