Really Cheap Cars and Rust

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
AlistairR
Learner Laner

Really Cheap Cars and Rust

Post by AlistairR »

Hello all,
Just happened upon this website and it looks quite interesting although i'll have to save some reading for another day, however i did read the Really Cheap Cars bit (http://www.downthelane.net/frugal-really-cheap-cars.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in which it says that these fine machines failed due to rust. That inspired me to register and write this post.
A friend of mine got a motorbike a couple of years back and we got onto chatting about corrosion he put me onto a product which is fairly popular amongst (well, some) motorcyclists it's called ACF 50

Having previously tried Jenolite (a strong acid) and KuRust (whatever that is) i too thought that rust would always prevail, however the rust on my old pickup is being held at bay with the odd wipe over with a rag dipped in ACF 50 every few months, i've been using it for perhaps 3 or maybe 4 years now and it really does work, this has been borne out by mistakenly wiping the rust with 2 stroke oil last time instead (having put both in squeezy atomiser bottles) and seeing the rust quickly start to grow.

Anyway i am aware that this probably sounds like an advert and that it might seem i have some vested interest in this product, neither of which is the case, i make no apologies if i sound a bit evangelical i am just happy to have found a way to keep the rust at bay and an old motor on the road. Cheers! :-D
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Really Cheap Cars and Rust

Post by Linda S »

Hi Alistair and wellcome to this great forum, as youv seen theres loads of good reading and thanks for your tip as you can see we love good ways to save and prolong the lives of the things we have :-D . If you go to members only there is a part called introductions(obviously)where you can say hi as we do like to wellcome new members. Anyway good to have you with us and hope you join in )t' Linda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Hi Alistair, and thanks for the tip.
I've recently bought an oldish campervan, and have treated a few rusty bits with Kurust and zinc prime under paint. It's great to know of something else I can try if (when?) it comes back.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Alistair,

Interesting and thanks for posting about the product.

I have to be honest and say that last year I bought my first ever brand new car, but if I was in the same position as I was in the period I wrote the article, I would stand by what I said.

It's a bit like PC Printers when it's as easier and quite often cheaper to buy another one than get ink for it !

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome