A tip for walking around in icy conditions........

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

A tip for walking around in icy conditions........

Post by Don Roberto »

Before I started my gas fitting apprenticeship, I had a job as a coalman to earn a bit of money after college. This was also my winter weekend job until I could work overtime at 18.
If you can imagine trying to keep upright on sheet ice whilst carrying hundredweight sacks of coal on my back, well it wasn't easy. One of the lads on the yard saved my bacon by showing me the following tip, all you need to do is buy a pack of 3/4" ( 20mm ) hexagon head self tapping screws and screw 3 of them into the rear of each boot heel and they work like a charm. Just walk with a firm heel first lead and the hex head screws dig into the ice and you stay upright. The only thing to remember is take your boots off before you walk on your neighbours newly laid oak flooring, hope this helps. Cheers me dears....... )wav(
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Re: A tip for walking around in icy conditions........

Post by bmpsands »

I had a couple of falls two years ago and am nervous on ice. This makes me walk very tentatively which probably makes me more likely to have another accident.

I shall tell OH to get me the items that you spoke of - thanks for the tip.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

I have a friend who has the same problem (afraid of falling on ice) so I bought her a pair of shoe grips from Argos, don't think she's tried them yet but they look useful.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7405660.htm
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I have something very similar, and they have proved very useful. I've recently added a spare set to the emergency box in the car.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I bought something similar from Amazon last year after nearly falling while walking the dog - by the time they arrived we had a thaw and I've not been able to test them yet LOL. I also treated myself to a pair of battery heated gloves - bliss )t'