spare room radiators

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

spare room radiators

Post by bmpsands »

Does it really make a difference if I turn spare room radiators down to their lowest setting? Went in to put the rooms "back to sleep" after Christmas and they seem to be the warmest rooms in the house.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: spare room radiators

Post by Mo »

They could be warmest because the door has been kept closed so the heat hasn't escaped into colder parts of the house and out of the front door. Or maybe they get hot water from the boiler before the other radiators. When OH turns the rads in the living room up to the max that room seems to boil while all the rest stay cold.
It makes sense not to heat a room you're not using (not sure how much you save, but the boiler will come on a bit less anyway).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Mo - I take your point about the door being closed. Our house was divided into 2 a few years ago and new radiators were fitted in one half - the one where the spare rooms are. They are much more effective than those elsewhere. I'm getting a plumber in to quote for new rads in one of the sitting rooms and the front hall because they are real cold spots and the sitting room is the one that OH uses in the evening.

When cold, we should go and sit in one of the bathrooms. Both small, one tiny, they have enormous new radiators. Don't know what reasoning was used about where to put which size!
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Also be aware that when some rads feel hotter then others an example is that sometimes if the rads upstairs feel a lot hotter then the rads downstairs is that the system may benefit from being "balanced" ie that heat is the same through each rad. To balance a system you regulate the flow through each radiator via the locksheild. Sounds a lot more complicated then it really is.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Errr - wot's a lockshield ?

Is that the same as turning the thermostat up or down?

Actually, since we have a big house and different rooms are used at different times we have a fan heater to give a boost if it feels cold in one room, rather than over-heating the whole house.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We generally run the heating at a background type of level. There is a coal fire in one sitting room, gas fire in the other, woodburner in the kitchen. We do need to keep a reasonable heat through the place because it has been prone to damp in the past - and until we can afford to complete the re-pointing and replace the rendering on one wall we are living with some evidence of damp.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Mo wrote:Errr - wot's a lockshield ?

Is that the same as turning the thermostat up or down?

On each of your radiators Mo you will have a valve either side, on one side is the Thermostat commonly called a TRV and on the other side is the locksheild its usually got a white plastic cover on it and its this valve that is used to balance a system. If you google "Balancing radiators" you should be able to see a youtube video explaining the procedure.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Generally speaking Mo, the radiators closest to the boiler tend to get hotter than the ones farthest away, and as Bob says, you need to balance the system by reducing the flow to the nearest radiators, and increasing the flow to the farthest ones, this is done by the lockshield valve on the rads!......simples!.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Think I'll ask the plumber when he comes to do a little job next week. It isn't "simples" enough for me.

At least I'll sound as though I know what I'm talking about when describing what should like to have done.

thanks all

Bea
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I can guarantee a way of saving on the fuel bills, LOL.

Get yourself a Malamute X puppy who cannot stand heat in the house. Ours is an old farmhouse and since having Lexi the pup we have had all the rads turned down, but do keep the two open fires on. We have put extra jumpers on and have to admit I especially have felt much better for it. )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Last winter I turned off my spare bedroom rads and closed the doors. I also only had the heating on in the evenings. Have to say that I was freezing and miserable!

This year I also have the heating on for an hour in the mornings, and it has made a real difference. I also have left the spare rooms rads on and doors open. The whole house seems warmer, and I am much happier! :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

p.penn[b][/b] I know what you mean. We always have the heating on for a little while in the morning. i can't bear to get showered and dressed in a cold house. Went into the spare double yesterday to find something and it was really cold, so I've just turned them up a little.

For the sake of a slight increase in the fuel bills I'm going for comfort!
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

We've got 3 bedrooms we hardly use and some Winters I have turned the rads off completely and kept the doors closed. That's fine till I want to dust and hoover in them and it's flipping freezing. Now I just turn the rads down quite low so they are just lukewarm and leave the doors open and that seems to work much better.
Lyn

Post by bmpsands »

Mercedes - I'm doing the same as you, really. I'm finding that it's working ok.

we haven't had any fuel bills yet so I don't quite know what effect I'm having but I feel better for doing something.