check your receipt

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
saint-spoon

check your receipt

Post by saint-spoon »

I popped to son-of-morris for a few essential comestibles and shaving foam this afternoon, as per usual I went for the shaving foam that was on offer and got two tins because it saved me £1.44 (£2 a tin instead of £2.72). Anyway on my way out I thought that I’d buy a lottery ticket and got stuck behind a lady who was being indecisive about what tobacco products she wanted to purchase in order to slowly kill herself, so I had a look at my receipt and noticed that the shaving foam discount hadn’t been deducted at the end. Anyway the lady at customer services was very nice and refunded me my £1.44 without issue. I wonder how many people don’t check and don’t get the discounts they think that they are going to.

Another thing, the nice lady who gave me the refund did point out that quite often it's because the offer sign hasn't been removed and the offer has expired, they do all have a until date so be wary and check.
Bah Humbug
Maggie1

Re: check your receipt

Post by Maggie1 »

We did that in Adsa. They gave us our money back so we got the item free.
wendy

Post by wendy »

OH does it all the time. He also know, more or less, how much is will be. So is wary when the total comes up some times. They have got to get up early to catch him.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

That's happened to me lots and various shops, cos I'm a sucker for a BOGOF !
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Sara

Post by Sara »

I take a calculator shopping with me.... :oops:

I know exactly how much my shopping will be when i get to the checkout... That way i know that i have enough money to pay for everything and i know if something has been charged wrong as it comes up different to what my calculator says. )t'

Still check the reciept though, so many dont :-D
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Another thing people don't do these days is check their change. You don't get your change counted back into your hand like you used to. Its all bunged in with your receipt and before you know where you are the cash out person has started to wizz through the next persons groceries. Its all rush, thats one thing I don't miss about UK.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Good point Maggie. Many of us are of an age where we can check our change without having to count it out, a quick glance is sufficient, we grew up using money for transactions rather than cards so it comes as second nature. There are some unscrupulous businesses that deliberately short change, there is a kebab shop in our town that has been close down twice by trading standards for repeatedly short changing and I am sure that there must be more than enough pubs that take advantage of alcohol consumption.
Bah Humbug
junemackenzie
Lively Laner

Post by junemackenzie »

I always put any discounted offers together and watch very carefully as they are scanned. I could not tell you how many times a full price has been rung up. It really annoys me. }hairout{ I am convinced it is a supermarket tactic. They know what they are doing.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

junemackenzie wrote:I am convinced it is a supermarket tactic. They know what they are doing.

I agree - I've been caught out a couple of times. I was checking my receipt at home for a potential voucher when I noticed an item at full price (I would not have bought it otherwise). The following week the display was still at the reduced price so I got another and at the till it was again marked full price. I went to the customer service desk where I complained ... got the difference back on the item bought that day but was told there "was no way to check what the price was the week before" (yeah right :? ) but was given a gift card that was twice the value of the item )t'

And on the same theme of the displayed price at the supermarket - beware of the so-called "accidental placing the reduced tag on the more expensive item" trick. How many times have you stood at the shelves looking for an item then your eye catches the reduced price of a similar item (especially if it is normally much more expensive) then got home and found you've been charged the full price. On this occassion I happen to be still at the shop when I saw I had been duped - I was so }hairout{ I demanded to see the manager and showed him the shelves. If I wasn't so angry about the whole thing, I might have though it quite funny to see him struggling to move the wrong price to the correct items while I stood there until it was done.