DIY facial scrub

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Re: DIY facial scrub

Post by Steve valentine »

Poor mans swarfega, teaspoon of sugar, dollop of washing up liquid, cleans the grimiest of grimy hands )t'
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Steve valentine wrote:Poor mans swarfega, teaspoon of sugar, dollop of washing up liquid, cleans the grimiest of grimy hands )t'

Not too good for the face though, especially if you are a lady.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Totally Scrambled wrote:
Steve valentine wrote:Poor mans swarfega, teaspoon of sugar, dollop of washing up liquid, cleans the grimiest of grimy hands )t'

Not too good for the face though, especially if you are a lady.
Dom

I've just checked and I'm pretty sure I'm not, but thanks for the heads up Dom )t'

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I tried the suar and olive oil last night after a day out gardening, it worked well, thank you Willow )t'
[center][/center]Davina
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I made lots of jars of sugar scrub for christmas presents. They are scented with essential oils (peppermint or lemon) and they have so far kept well in their washed out and sterilised jam jars. Also did brown sugar and vanilla, and experimented with honey and oatmeal sugar scrub. Great for the bath for exfoliating all over, especially heels, knees and elbows. I'm also under orders to bring some in for my colleagues in work who home tan, apparently the bottled fake bake goes on more evenly when you've exfoliated well.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hi BBC )wav( I think we need a recipe.....They sound fab.
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I dont really have a recipe as such. I made in bulk, so I bought a kilo bag of sugar (around 90p) and a litre of ordinary veg oil (about £1.20 I think)

Put the sugar in a large bowl. Add a good glug of oil, stir and stir and stir until mixed evenly. Have a feel, if it seems a bit dry add more oil, if it's too runny add more sugar. Once you've got it how you want it, add about 20 drops of oil and mix really well. Sniff, add more oil if you want.

I also put in the zest of 4 lemons done on the zesting part of the cheese grater into the lemon one - if I was doing it again I'd do it on the fine/micro grater so I actually got very thin strips of zest rather than the tiny bits that vanished. I made a brown sugar one which I put seeds from 2 vanilla pods in. The oatmeal one, I threw a couple of handfuls of porridge ots intot he dry sugar and mixed them before puttingh the oil in, I also put extra oil in that one to allow for the oats absorbing some.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanks for that it sounds so simple and would make fab pressies )t' {hug}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

It made lovely presents. I had saved up nicely-shaped jars, I printed out some labels I found for free online and mod podged them ontot he jars and lids, then tied a pretty ribbon around the neck of the jar.

Beware though the oil will leak out a tiny bit once they've been stored for a while!