Frugal February plan

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
morbidia
Lively Laner

Frugal February plan

Post by morbidia »

I am going to
Plan my meals so I don't buy unwanted/needed items.I am also going to aim to try to cook more meals from scratch instead of using shop bought sauces etc, me and my daughter are both trying to lose weight so we won't be wasting money on cakes, biscuits and other naughty food. I am also going to batch cook meals so there is enough for another day and I can take some to work instead of wasting money buying my lunch
I don't drive and have a subsidised yearly bus ticket to get to work that is paid for straight out of my wages so I can't really save money on travel but from a health perspective I am going to walk part of the way to get fit, this will stop me having to take out a gym membership or buy exercise dvds and its completely free
I have already swapped my utility bills to a cheaper provider and also my insurance etc, my mortgage fixed rate came to and end a year ago and I left it on the variable rate and my payments dropped dramatically as my fixed rate was quite high compared to todays interest rates, you just have to remember to keep an eye on the interest rates and be prepared to act if they start creepng up
I waste money buying magazines every month depsite the fact that I have two on subscription and my mum treats me to a couple, so I am not going to buy them anymore
I am aiming to not spend any money on non essentials at all during February and am thinking of not taking money to work with me anymore
I have worked out my budget for the month and have drawn out a set amount for my food shop, I am not going to to use my card at all during the month because I tend to spend more and lose track if I use my card ,so any spending will be cash only and within the budget,all my bills are paid by direct debit so I have left the money in the bank to cover those bills
If I want a book to read I will go to the library instead of buying myself a book, I read a lot so do get through a lot of books, they are mostly from charity shops or given to me but I do buy online at least once a month
I can't think of anything else at the moment but will amend the list if I think of anything else
Goodluck everyone :-D
morbidia
Lively Laner

Re: Frugal February plan

Post by morbidia »

Wow I have just been and read some of the posts from last years Frugal Feb and I am feeling really inpsired now. You all did really well and there were lots of things that I hadn't thought of, I also forgot that I don't have to pay my Council Tax in February so I will have extra money to go towards the paying off my credit card :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

Well done Morbida, and glad the last years posts inspired you, I loved it, and as for the meals etc, there will be a few tips going onto the "list", and feel free to add your own )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Sounds like a great start morbidia :-D I'm really bad for buying my lunch at work so I thinki'll join you in leaving my purse at home and sticking with my packed lunch. I make a huge vat of soup and freeze it in portion sized tubs and defrost/heat it in the microwave at work, cheap and healthy )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I'm terrible at buying food for my lunch at work even if I have something to take I sometimes don't take it and buy something else instead, tommorrow I have tonight left over tea for my lunch and will just take some Ryvita and cheese spread for my supper break
Linda Pattison
Lively Laner

Post by Linda Pattison »

Yoy've already done a lot, impressive. I've totally given up magazines, I read at the chiro office, she has horse mags, nat geo, discover, and Sc American. Heh.
One of your fb DTL admins with Manda Powdrill and Christy Poole.
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Great start to Frugal Feb, so far I have not spent any money )t' but that might be because its only the 1st and I haven't left my house/garden all day....lol....I went food shopping on Wednesday and bought ingredients to make meals with after checking what we already have, I haven't bought any food at work and have been eating the food I took with me :-D
I also have a money savingtip for the allotment, Me and my daughter have cleared lots of the plot and are in the process of marking out beds and pathways, she decided that rather than have grass or just plain mud paths she would like wood chip,we were going to put down weed membrane but I read a tip in a gardening mag about making paths out of newspaper, you lay them out quite thickly and overlapping then water them with a watering can ( or wait 10 seconds for it to rain again) the paper sets solid and forms a path, you then cover this with woodchip, I just need to find some free woodchip now and it won't have cost us anything, I am collecting newspapers from friends and family and picking up the ones left by patients at work :-D
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I am just noting down ideas as they occur to me so I don't forget :-D
Visit the 99p store for non perishable bargains such as shampoo, loo roll or any other items we might need instead of just going to the nearest supermarket and paying over the top prices
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Budget done for this month and I have worked out that I can pay off half of the payment on the washing machine I bought before xmas when my other one packed up ,its actually on a buy now pay in 12 months time interest free deal but I want to pay it off early so I can forget about it, I checked the paperwork and I can pay off as much as I like so that is a bonus, I will be paying that on my next day off which is wednesday
All my bills are covered and I have sorted my food money so all in all not too bad so far
I did have to buy some compost today as I needed to move the Rhodedendron that is in the way of the new chicken shed, I had to use special compost for this plant but I did buy Wilkinson own brand so it only cost me £3.50 for two 15 LTR bags, apart from that I haven't spent any money so far :-D
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Paid off half the washing machine with the saved council tax money,that is a weight off my mind, however I am not having a very frugal week this weeks as I had my eyes tested yesterday, I did get a £10 ogg voucher but I need reading glasses, I am not too surprised by this as I am strugglig to see some things so that is a not budgeted for expense and today I was naughty and bought myself a chicken doorstop :oops: I needed cheering up and it was only £5 but still naughty.....its very cute though :-D :-D :-D

Oops forgot to say it was a nice blowy morning here today so I got some washing done and managed to dry it on the line instead of in the dryer,will that make up for my doorstop +f+
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Any pics of the doorstop +f+ I'd love one!
I had to get reading glasses just before Christmas so I know what you mean but I'm sure it'll make a difference to your reading so will be worth it. )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I will take a photo of the doorstop hopefully tomorrow, I need to charge my camera up first though :-D I met my mum for lunch yesterday and she bought my glasses for me :-D so that is something I don't have to worry about, but the frugal feb thing is rapidly going downhill as I now have a poorly chicken who will have to go to the vet tomorrow, I just hope she lasts that long {cry}
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I have given up Frugal Feb,it got off to a good start then I had to take Agnes to the vet so there was £50 down the drain and last week my boiler sprung a leak so I had to shell out £60 to have it fixed }hairout{ I feel like I tempted fate by trying to be careful with my money , I paid off half the washing machine then got the two unexpected bills for Agnes and the boiler, so I have ended up with no food money for this week and having to borrow money from my daughter to fix the boiler, I wish I hadn't paid the flaming washing machine off now }hairout{
Oh well its payday in 3 days time so at least I will be able to get some shopping in then, its a good job my freezer is well stocked :-D