LBF's Frugal February

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

LBF's Frugal February

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We're facing the possibility of some big changes here in the froggy household, including a big drop in income - so I'm using Frugal February as a kind of jump-start on getting organised for that, and as a way to remind myself of some good habits that I've allowed to fall by the wayside.

1 - a big supermarket shop at the start of the month, after that, cash-only and small top-ups in town rather than supermarket.

2 - get back in the habit of cooking for the freezer -I used to do this twice a week as a matter of course, just doubling up stew/chilli/soup or whatever.

3 - reinstate the 30 day list - a page in the back of my notebook to write down random things that I'm tempted to buy (usually things that I tell myself I *need*) - things have to stay on the list for a month before I can buy them, usually by that time the need has passed.

4 - continue to not use the tumble drier (haven't used it at all in the nearly-five-months we've been here.

5 - continue to read the electricity / gas meter every week to keep tabs on what we're spending.

I'm not doing a big cupboard/freezer clear out, because I like having a well-stocked pantry, it's stood me in good stead many times in the past. Also, I ran all the cupboards right down before we moved house in September, so there won't be anything out of date.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone else's diaries.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
perchy

Re: LBF's Frugal February

Post by perchy »

Well done and good luck )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I do a big once a month shop and top up with fresh stuff only when I have to and I find it the cheapest way )t'
I do it online so I can keep tabs on how much I'm spending and before I checkout I click on View My Basket so I can take anything out I feel was an impulse buy. I usually pick the cheapest delivery spot which costs approx £2.50 (probably what id spend in petrol if i drove there and back). It also means I'm able to check the cupboards as I go to see exactly what I need (before doing this I used to have a fixation on buying spaghetti every month and ended up with 5 packets!)
>gl<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

MissEllie wrote:(before doing this I used to have a fixation on buying spaghetti every month and ended up with 5 packets!)
>gl<

It's always pinto beans here lol - I buy them every time I see them
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Love your 30 day rule - will definitely borrow that one!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

A good start so far - nothing spent yesterday. Normally Thursday is grocery shopping day, but I'm eking it out just a few days & going on Sunday this week - we only need a few bits and pieces to tide us over until the big shop next Thursday. Have been going through the top freezer & eating up some odds and ends to make room for the big shop & batch cooking.
I also spent some time yesterday fiddling round with the mortgage overpayment calculator on the Martin Lewis website - I'm considering dusting off my teaching qualification and trying some private tutoring - so I wanted to see how much extra I'd need to find to shave a few years off the mortgage.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I've thought of something else to do as well- I'm going to go through the cleaning products and get rid of/use up the ones that are gathering dust (mother-in-law brings some every time she visits, but I mostly use soda crystals & ecover washing up liquid for everything). If I can do that, then I can shuffle the utility room shelves around & make room for storing jars for re-using.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Quick update:
1. Haven't done a big supermarket shop, but that's because dh's work sent him a huge get well soon hamper full of 'normal' food rather than fancy stuff/chocolates. So - for now, I've planned meals around that & will just do top-up shops until March.
2. Not doing great on the freezer cooking, but that's because we're eating the hamper.
3. Nothing on the 30 day list yet. I did splash out and buy a new chain for the toilet flush, but after a couple of days of having to flush on behalf of all the children, I decided it was a necessity rather than a luxury! (our toilet cisterns are bizarrely in the roof, and flush with chains that come down through holes in the ceiling.
4. Still no tumble-drying )c( We've also worked out that it saves money to wash up by hand rather than the dishwasher, so have been doing that mostly. Dishwasher usually goes on about once a week - we had guests for lunch yesterday, so I used it then so that I could gossip rather than washing dishes.
5. Still reading meters. Have switched the heating to come on later in the afternoon now, and turned it off for the mornings -I just flick the override switch when I get up if it's really cold in the mornings.

I'm enjoying everyone else's diaries - even if I'm not doing a huge amount that's new/different, it's useful to just be focusing on what we can save, thinking about it more.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

The hamper sounds like a lovely practical present to be given :-D hope OH is better soon {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I've thought of something else to do as well- I'm going to go through the cleaning products and get rid of/use up the ones that are gathering dust (mother-in-law brings some every time she visits, but I mostly use soda crystals & ecover washing up liquid for everything). If I can do that, then I can shuffle the utility room shelves around & make room for storing jars for re-using.

I hope you get on well with MIL - not everyone's idea of a compliment! {rofwl}
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

It's not my idea of a compliment either! She doesn't think soda crystals etc get things clean, she likes to be able to SMELL that she's cleaned something (for several weeks afterwards!)
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:It's not my idea of a compliment either! She doesn't think soda crystals etc get things clean, she likes to be able to SMELL that she's cleaned something (for several weeks afterwards!)

I can sympathise LBF my MIL used to do the same. Also when we moved into our present house she knew I'd spent ages making curtains for every room, including a very pretty pair with chickens on them for the kitchen but she still bought us material which she had decided would be perfect for the kitchen rather than the ones I'd made! }hairout{
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Mine bought me a mop as a housewarming present ... for a house without a single moppable floor!! {rofwl}