Keeping vigilant!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
p.penn

Keeping vigilant!

Post by p.penn »

During 'frugal feb' I generally try to stay really vigilant and keep what I already know about saving money to the forefront of my mind - which, by the way, isn't an easy task for me, as my brain seems full up of loads of other stuff at the best of times!

Some things I have done during past frugal febs still remain with me as everyday savings, eg keeping my speed to a max 50-60 most of the time to cut petrol consumption. I must confess that on special occasions and really long journeys I do break this rule, but it is rare!

I have had a bit of a 'treat' couple of days (it is still Jan!) - bought a dress, leggings and top (first new clothes in over a year) and two crochet books, but am ready to be really careful from next week. I shall definitely try Perchy's tip of eating old stuff from the store cupboard!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Keeping vigilant!

Post by albertajune »

I hope you are really enjoying your treats Helen. I know it always gives me a good feeling to know that I have bought something because I've sort of "earned" it. You will now start being frugal again with enthusiasm.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Linda Pattison
Lively Laner

Post by Linda Pattison »

I found a box of dark chocolate squares when cleaning out the cupboard, I intend to binge today and tomorrow- *lol* Cleaning down the cupboards has been a pleasure, Helen!
One of your fb DTL admins with Manda Powdrill and Christy Poole.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

>dowhat< Why do I not find chocolate? }hairout{ Beans, beans and more beans. >dum<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Me neither {cry} all I found was sasda value soup and more soup {cry}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

It's soup in our house too as they were 5 cans for very little money for over a month. I make soup regularly so these may not have been the best ever buy. Plus, I cannot imagine when/why I bought small tins of rice pudding! My OH will be surprised when he doesn't get homemade. I wonder if I brought them from mum's flat when i was clearing it out. The sell by/use by dates are OK so that's two free puds at some point.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
perchy

Post by perchy »

bmpsands wrote:It's soup in our house too as they were 5 cans for very little money for over a month. I make soup regularly so these may not have been the best ever buy. Plus, I cannot imagine when/why I bought small tins of rice pudding! My OH will be surprised when he doesn't get homemade. I wonder if I brought them from mum's flat when i was clearing it out. The sell by/use by dates are OK so that's two free puds at some point.

)c(

That's the spirit!!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have realised today that I have a whole cupboard full of different (mainly fruit/herb) teas - literally boxes and boxes of them yike*

So, my frugal feb head thought no more buying tea or coffee until I have got through it all >dowhat< but to keep it real (I don't drink much fruit tea!) I think I may just replace a couple of cups a day. I will see how it goes.

)cof(
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh you will be so proud of me! Tipping with rain and completely miserable, and for the first time in ages I left the car at home and walked Bailey along the road to the downs instead of driving. )c(

I started walking there every time in frugal feb either last year or the year before, and I must have saved a fortune in petrol! Then we had the deep snow last year (?) when I slipped and banged the back of my head on the road, so in extreme conditions I drove again. Then when I was very tired I didn't walk, although to be honest, she only really expends energy whilst off the lead, so it was merely me who was gettng extra exercise!! Then of course I have just slipped quite a bit recently, new job, bad weather, illness, but now I am going to get my act together and I am going to try to do it most days. My hip is a little bit of a worry, but it isn't hurting any more than it was when I went out, and it's only a niggle at the moment.

Now I am all back home, if a bit wet, I am really pleased with myself! Also my passenger seat didn't get it's daily extra layer of thick mud! Mind you, that's a lost cause. It's only the mud that is keeping it together. {rofwl}

Also I have only had 2 bikkies instead of my usual 6. .ang. I seem to have the hang of this feb thing I think!
Helen xx

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Good for you Helen )app( sounds like you definitely earned your biscuits.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Well done on walking despite the rain, my plan was to walk part of the way to work but the first day I went to do it it was chucking it down so I caught the bus, walking won't save me any money because my bus pass is paid for already for the year but it will help me get fit so I need to man up :-D and get walking
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I drove the dog to her walk today :oops:

On the up side, I haven't had a drink yet this month - so have saved a few pennies. Also, although I have eaten almost a whole huge box of delicious truffles today, they weren't mine so cost me nothing {rofwl} Actually, thinking about it, that's not quite true as I gave them to my daughter at Xmas :? Oh well, I did some crochet today and used her wool too {rofwl}

I did make sure I drove at 50-60mph (mainly) to work and back yesterday, and always aim to do that.

Hmmm. Not great frugal achievements today really. Must try harder methinks. +f+
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, a bit of a hiccup with the recent mods meet up, although we ate virtually all the food so nothing was wasted. :-D Also I seemed to acquire cake, chocolates, chilli jam, marmalade (both orange and red onion), bath goodies and a pair of ugg gloves )c( )c(

Making savings does seem to be in my head though. As always I bought reduced bread (22p for a large loaf) and managed to get a kilo of seville oranges for 69p. I have given them to my daughter, and am hoping to get a jar of marmalade in return. Homemade maramalade at 69p a jar...bargain {rofwl}

It is my daughter's birthday tomorrow, and I went to buy her a card today and decided to make one instead. It's not quite finished yet as I have to do some writing at the bottom, but....

Helen xx

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Very clever the way you've spelled Happy Birthday in Naval semaphore flags )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Think you need congratulating for getting outside on foot in horrid weather. It's really difficult to motivate yourself to do it, but what price convenience? And you're doing yourself some good with all the extra walking, so it's a double bonus. Love the card.