Housekeeping money

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Housekeeping money

Post by albertajune »

I am one of those odd people who always has my housekeeping money in my purse.
What I haven't got, I can't spend and best of all, what is left at the end of the week goes into a wallet, and that is mine. This was how I bought my new computer last year & it is already mounting up. Basically, if I want something, the money has been saved.
Knowing that the money has to last for the week does make me more carefull as to what I spend it on.
I am also being very concious about wasting anything and always find a way to either use it in a different way or give to a charity shop. As for leftover food, that is always used or put in the freezer until I can use it. I even do this with curry sauces from a jar. Any not used, goes into a freezer bag to use in marinades.
My daughter thought me very mean when I stewed the chicken carcass with left over roasted veg, but thought the soup that I made from it was delicious. Hers would have gone into the bin.
I can sometimes be seen as being mean, but we eat very well and don't want for much, all by our own endeavours and not being wasteful.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mrs B

Re: Housekeeping money

Post by Mrs B »

We are much like you June, food wastage happens very rarely here. Beerless always makes a soup from the chicken carcass too. I do get quite cross when watching families on tv who waste food or buy ready made meals that are much easier to make at home.

I do use my credit card for the food shop and most purchases because Help the Aged get a donation every time I use it, I do pay the card off every month though.

I am a demon for clearing out ornaments and clothing but most things go to family and friends or the charity shop.

I empty my purse of change a couple of times a week and that pays for the Christmas food.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm the opposite - I rarely have cash in my purse nowadays as it is easily spent, and more often than not I don't even know what it was for :oops: It does have its drawbacks - when my car broke down on the way to work (and I don't have a mobile phone), I was turning my handbag inside out looking for enough loose change to at least catch a bus home.

Chicken carcass and other bones from a roast always go into a pot to make soup or stock )t' I always think of bones as a good source of calcium and other minerals
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I too rarely have much cash in my purse. Normally I get a ten pound cash back at the supermarket, and that can last up to two weeks, depending on what odds and ends we need in town on the day we shop. At present my odds and ends of loose change are going towards getting my hair done for my stepson's wedding in April. Last time I saved in the same way, we had to use it for the campsite in Essex for my birth mother's funeral.

Currently we are eating home made soup at lunch time. I do a bit extra potato, and veg, and chuck it all into the soup. As we have had number one son and partner for lunch, we have parsnip, peas, carrots, stuffing, bread sauce and chicken to go into the soup. Should be interesting and tasty.
clunie
Learner Laner

Post by clunie »

I agree re chicken carcasses being used for making soup stock. Amazing how many portions of soup can be made from one carcasse.

I'm on a limited budget so only take out a little cash for shopping. I llive in a small village with just one (obviously expensive) shop. But the nearest Ladi or escot is 25 miles away. So it is a case of making out the essentials list and combining a visit into shops with a trip for some other reason eg buying chicken food, hay etc!
perchy

Post by perchy »

clunie wrote:I agree re chicken carcasses being used for making soup stock. Amazing how many portions of soup can be made from one carcasse.

I'm on a limited budget so only take out a little cash for shopping. I llive in a small village with just one (obviously expensive) shop. But the nearest Ladi or escot is 25 miles away. So it is a case of making out the essentials list and combining a visit into shops with a trip for some other reason eg buying chicken food, hay etc!

Very important for you to have a good list, so good planning important, but I am sure you know that, I am trying to envisage our shops that far away, so I am not going to "pop" to ours )t'
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I have stopped taking money apart from a couple of £S for emergency with me, unless I am going out to do the shopping I leave my money at home, otherwise I waste it on silly things,I am also not using any cards, I got paid this month and I have left the money in the bank for the bills then I have drawn the food money out and this is all I have for the month from my job the rest of my wages have stayed in the bank, I also help my sister out in her shop once a week for two hours and she gives me £12 for that so that is my pocket money for the week
wendy

Post by wendy »

I rarely take a bag or a purse out with me. Usually on a Thursday when I get my hair done. I am like the Queen, I don't handle money )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning