Frugal Feb with the Spoons

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
saint-spoon

Frugal Feb with the Spoons

Post by saint-spoon »

Ok so it starts for us on tomorrow which is technically still January but never mind. The aim is to waste absolutely no food at all, only drink alcohol that I have brewed myself and keep the food bil down whilst maintaining my stance on ethical food and eating healthily. To that end I probably won’t be having any tuna once the line caught stuff in the cupboard is gone as it is quite a bit more expensive; anyway I think you get the gist of what my intentions are.
)t'
Bah Humbug
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Frugal Feb with the Spoons

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Good luck with your Frugal Feb Spoony )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
clunie
Learner Laner

Post by clunie »

sounds good. I totally agree that we should all be minimising food waste - I guess with 4 dogs and 4 cats hens and ducks - I don't have too much food waste. However it is sometimes noticeable how much the animals do get if I am not being careful!

Good luck anyway and I do like the idea of ethical food only. :-D

By the way can I just add good luck to everyone with their Frugal Febs. I must organise mine. Shouldn't be too difficult as I'm skint this month!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Afternoon Clunie,
Greetings and welcome to The Lane )wav(
Dom
Ali Woks My World
perchy

Post by perchy »

Hello Clunie )wav( welcome to the lane )t'
manda

Post by manda »

Sounds like a plan SS good luck to you and all the Spoons this month.

Hi Clunie and welcome to the Lane....you going to join in Frugal Feb?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Hello Clunie, welcome to the lane.
Well I haven’t got off to the start I wanted because my plan was to use up the left over vegetables and meat from the Sunday roast to make a stew this evening… but there wasn’t any left over vegetables or meat whatsoever so I’ll be starting from scratch; I do however have sufficient fresh veg to make a veggies soup or stew (probably stew so that I can legally have dumplings). I will have to pick up some chicken thighs on my home from work and perhaps some red lentils. On the plus side we have plenty of Home brew wine almost ready for sampling and I shall get another batch of apples on the go at the weekend.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Well made a stock pot full of stew. £2.50 for four chicken thighs, and a couple of quid (probably) for assorted vegetables, some spudz, a fist full of red lentils and a couple of stock cubes. That was us fed for the evening and portions set aside for me to take to work for lunch for the rest of the week.

)t'
Bah Humbug
clunie
Learner Laner

Post by clunie »

Thank you all for welcoming me to the Forum - I've been lurking looking for the past couple of years and decided that I really should join up.

Sorry things didn't quite work out as planned SS but at least you are started!

I'm meaning to join up with Frugal Feb - just deciding what to do. Living in a small village 25 miles from the big 4 superstores and Ladi or idll had some major disadvantages.!

Good luck all of you )t'
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

The stew sounds yummy, I too am trying not to waste food and the left over tea from tonght is going to work with me tomorrow,kills two birds with one stone by not wasting food and not buying food at work :-D
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I decided a long time ago that sandwiches were a boring lunch, ok so you can liven them up by using a fancy bread or getting experimental with the filling but ultimately they are pretty boring day in day out (bacon sandwiches are obviously the exception to that rule). Anyway since then I have taken more interesting lunches into work and during the colder months it is nice to have a warming stew or soup to heat up in the microwave. Stews freeze pretty well, including dumplings if you make them. I have in the freezer a couple of days’ worth on top of the stews I made today so I am sorted for the next week or so although I will make up some couscous or pasta to give myself a varied diet. Couscous is pretty cheap as is pasta and you can liven them up easily enough.
Bah Humbug
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

When ever I cook I make enough to put some spare in the freezer so I always have something to take to work and it also comes in handy if I am not feeling too well from the Fibro I can still have a hot meal but don't have to cook it completley from scratch. I tried couscous for the first time last year and love it, I like to roast some veg and mix it up for lunch at work, I then just reheast it in :-D the microwave
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Well I have been a bit over the place the last week or so but I have been doing pretty well. The food-wasted-ometer is still really close to the bottom, I had to ditch a lunch pot of stew because I was away on a course and there wasn’t a microwave to warm it up (or defrost it), that also cost me £2-50 for a baguette from the NAAFI shop. Apart from that we have been keeping the food shop down to a minimum and eating well on a special offer stuff. I picked up two decent sized sirloin steak on Sunday, less than £5 for the pair , half of one each gives us two dinners for a little over £2 each with the potatoes and salad; but hey-ho a little luxury is worth it. Off on course again tomorrow so picked up a granary baguette reduced down to 19p, that’ll do for breakfast when I get to work and lunch, some grated cheddar (special at son-of-morris BOGOF) and some savers pickle onions.

Oh and the car broke down and cost £1,300 to repair }hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{
Bah Humbug
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

£1300?!! yike* I bet that smarts.