Bea's squeeze

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Bea's squeeze

Post by bmpsands »

Having done all the insulation, new woodburner, economy efficient boiler etc when we moved and being already a batch cooker and freezer of remainders, here's what I've come up with.

An absolute ban on OH and I both driving into Bridlington on the same day. This may mean that OH has to do the occasional shopping trip or delivery to the Samaritans shop and I'll have to go to the old house more often and do the daily visit to MiL. The extra trips in the car to give the dogs a run on the beach or cliffs will have to fit in with other activities.

Turn the heating down another degree and reduce the hours during which it runs. With the new insulation this house retains its heat for longer. Therefore I should be able to take an hour off in the morning and evening. We'll try it and see.

Sort out the nasty little area under the utility staircase This will let me bulk buy non-perishable stuff when it's on offer without cluttering up the house with the excess.

Make lots of paper logs The few I made as a trial worked really well. What I need to do is make them in the summer to stockpile in a cool, dry place. Can't fancy stacking them under the "nasty little area" referred to above as they may be a fire hazard. Stuff in the garage sometime gets damp. This needs a bit of a think.

Stop giving eggs away When I have a surplus I take 6 down to the Sams Centre and ask for 70p. This covers the cost and the little bit over will give me a buffer to spend if repairs/improvements are needed. But I give a further 6 or even 12 away most weeks. From now on, when friends/relatives ask for eggs I think I might see if they will give e 50p per half dozen. If people stop wanting eggs I shall freeze them down if I can't use them up.

I cannot think of anything else at the moment, although I might try the cold water washing powders that people seem to be keen on.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Bea's squeeze

Post by Mo »

50p is a bargain. The only people who get free eggs are my daughters, I give away apples at dance club (in years when I have spare apples - which is every season except this one!!), but since eggs cost in feed, and any I take are snatched from my hand before I get in the door I charge for eggs. Used to be 50p / 6, but feed has gone up the last few years and people think £1 is still cheaper than the shops and taste better.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I am interested in freezing eggs, Bea. I have given all ours away, without asking for a penny, and it is costly with feed, corn, meal worms etc.

We tried the paper log bit, using margarine containers as a mould, but were not impressed, and as we have to get our newspapers from my neighbour, we would not have enough for the girls shelf.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

bmpsands wrote:Sort out the nasty little area under the utility staircase This will let me bulk buy non-perishable stuff when it's on offer without cluttering up the house with the excess.

thats a good idea Bea, I think I'll do the same with our understair cupboard. Hopefully I might even find some more stuff to flog on fleabay )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I freeze mine if I've let them get older than a week or so. 2 eggs whisked in a yoghurt pot, or a pound of eggs (for a batch of fruit cakes) in a marg tub.
Fine for omelettes and baking. A bit different in texture when defrosted, more gloopy - but fine to use.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Re gloopy eggs. Thanks to whoever recommended it, I bought the "Take a box of eggs" recipe book. The advice in there is to add quarter of a teaspoon of salt or sugar to stabilise the eggs. You then just need to label carefully so that you know whether to make yorkshire puddings or cakes with the contents. I haven't tried this yet, but it might work.

Re paper logs - we have a contrivance like the one advertised on the sidebar here. It works a treat. I don't buy any newspapers except the weekly local one - but I have friends who do. I'm lucky in that I have a free supply of shredded paper and woodshavings - so don't need newspaper for the hens. I've thought about using shredded paper for logs. Another Laner recommended that if I tried this I should line the mould with proper paper first. I'll try that in the summer. I love a good experiment!

As a joke, I bought a little kettle - the sort you use for camping - and put it onto the top of the woodburner. It took an hour to boil, from first lighting the stove, but on the rare occasions when I light the stove I might just put the kettle on first thing and then I'll have hot water for mid-morning tea/coffee. That must save 0.0000001p surely?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Bea most of us Laners charge £1 for 6 eggs which is very cheap compared to supermarket prices and really our eggs should be at *finest* prices as they are sooo good.
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I give my surplus eggs to my mum and dad or people at work, my workmates always offer to pay but I have always said no, next time someone asks I am going to say yes please :-D
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I was in a shop this morning and their "ordinary free range" eggs were 1.50 for 6. the eggs looked a lot smaller than the ones my girls lay.

I feel OK about asking only 70p as this covers my costs, but I know that I'm undervaluing the efforts of my ladies. Sometimes I manage to get a dozen together before one of our fundraising events (typically in the spring/summer) and then I sell them at £1 for 6 and the whole of the pound goes to my charity.
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Post by Essex Bird »

I sell my eggs at £1.25 for 6 medium, £1.50 large, even I put money in the pot for my eggs, this way I don't suddenly have to rummage into my purse when I go to the farm shop for supplies, every 3 months i have enough for pellets, corn, bedding, grit and DE. with about £30 left over to go towards the payments of the new coops I bought a few months back. At first I felt awkward but most ladies give a little extra for the girls, lets face it, at the end of the day our eggs are far superior than anything you can by in the shops so "they're worth it"
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
ey ey ya yeye ey i killed my mother.... la la la la la la la lalala gringo
http://mandysgarden.blogspot.com
clunie
Learner Laner

Post by clunie »

I'd have to say that I have aways been impressed at what people will pay for the girl's eggs. I started off with offers please and when I was at work most were very happy to pay £1 for half doz. Then I have a friend who declared that at least £1.75 for half a doz and gives me normally £1 for bantam half doz! In the summer I still manage to give some away free to friends - sometimes get cakes in return!

I'd say that £1 for 6 is good value.

I love the idea of sorting out under the starts - I must do that soon - Spring clean?

I've not made paper logs but make paper sticks to replace kindling for lighting the stove. :-D
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Clunie = I make paper sticks, too. Do you do the "fold into strips. bend in half and then wrap alternate sides"?

With the high winds lately,I have been taking a bag out when dog walking and picking up all the tiny twiggy bits that get blown off trees. When dried, these make fabulous kindling.