Benny-Bev's February of trying to be Frugal!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Benny-Bev's February of trying to be Frugal!

Post by Benny&Co »

I've been reading all your posts in this area with great interest, as always I learn so much from all you lovely Laners )t'

I'm still doing things from last year that I learn't, such as watering down cleaning products, I now buy either own or different label tins of tomatoes, taking a packed lunch and drink if going on a long train ride etc, padding out stews with lots of extra veggies to make it go much further.

I've always done batch cooking of things for the freezer because I prefer to know what's in my food. I've now started making extra of things like cheese sauce, mash/dauphinoise potatoes, gravy as I've found those things freeze really well.

I always use all of a roast chicken and then make soups and stock with the bones. The stock I put in plastic boxes and freeze, pulling out when I want to use.

My Hubbly has also started being more frugal too. In all the years I've known him, he has never taken a packed lunch to work - but now he does :-D

As for products that I use for myself, I was for numerous years a Clarinsy girl then last year I was given some Neal'sYard products for Christmas, which got me thinking about chemicals, nasties and such.

Both these brands are very expensive, but I've now found a small company based in Kent where I can get lovely products at a fraction of the price.

They also make shampoo and conditioner, so big savings there compared to NealsYard and Aveeeeeeda.

I always check my Sasda grocery receipt and over the last year or so, we've done really well with the money off vouchers.

I have also started getting cheaper cuts of meat, lamb shank, beef skirt and such which are excellent for the slow cooker )eat(

For over year now my hair lady comes to my home to do my hair, which is far cheaper than going to the salon. Phew when I think of the London prices I used to pay (£120 yike* ), then up here it was around £70.

Happy Frugal February all of you >mmm<
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Benny-Bev's February of trying to be Frugal!

Post by Mo »

Savings made in Feb are good (as long as they aren't binged away in March). But if the habits have persisted that must make the whole excersise so much more worth while.

Of course, it makes this year harder (or lets you off, I'm not sure which)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Linda Pattison
Lively Laner

Post by Linda Pattison »

You can get a hairdresser to come to your home? I'm awestruck. )t'
One of your fb DTL admins with Manda Powdrill and Christy Poole.
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

My neice is a qualified hairdresser who works in a salon but every 8 weeks or so she goes to my mums house and we bith have our hair cut there, its also a chance to catch up over a coffee and she charges me £10 , I used to pay £30 every eight weeks so this is a huge saving for me and she does my hair so much better than the hair dresser used to :-D
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Our February has been the worst ever, for one reason or another {cry}

Will be glad when it's March :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

{hug} {hug} Sending hugs and love {hug} {hug}

Just look forward to spring flowers x
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!