Cooking Oil

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Cooking Oil

Post by Homemade »

Current medical thinking (can you tell I'm on a course) has it that we should not be eliminating fats from our diet but we should be replacing "bad" fats with "good "fats.

This translates roughly as use olive oil or rapeseed oil for all your cooking, everything else is bad in some way.
Well olive oil is expensiveand rapeseed oil can be hard to find. It's available in Tes&co in expensive -cold pressed or posh brands.

But go to Lilde and they have their cheapest £1.49 a litre Vita D'Or "vegetable oil". Close inspection of the label reveals this to be --100% rapeseed oil )t'

They are missing a marketing trick here as it is high in all the good omega oils.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Cooking Oil

Post by rhubarb93 »

Thanks for the tip - will have a look. Don't use a lot of cooking oil, but am all in favour of it being healthier when I do. )t'
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

I saw an article on youtube regarding olive oil, its not as good for you as we have been lead to believe! :? . One study, reasearch into blood flow, showed that after adding olive oil to your meal, in fact slowed the rate of blood flow down by some 31%!!, turning the blood into the consistancy of sludge! yike* ...........Don't be put off though! >dowhat<
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

There are always going to be different opinions and studies but the vast majority of scientifically validated work at present shows the benefits of these oils.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
delvadin25
Learner Laner

Post by delvadin25 »

Hi
Referring to the Vita D'or oil 100% rapeseed oil, is this oil cold pressed or high temperature treated which makes it similar to Canola Oil. Rumour has it that Canola oil is processed using high temperature and not cold pressed, this is believed to have bad side-effects when consumed in large quantities.

Thanks