coal v wood

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: coal v wood

Post by Freeranger »

Some good points, Dom, but I wasn't commenting on the lifestyle choices, just cost and practicality Yes I agree with your points about green v seasoned woods, but it does make it easier to fuel and you can put dry and less dry woods together if you have to. There's a downside to dry wood as well, and that's that it burns rapidly, so for a cosy fireside glow all evening you'd want to vary it a bit. Our wood is delivered by the load, which approximates to a tonnage and is more generous than a cube, so I do trust our suppliers on that element of it, it's just that there's a genuine shortage of seasoned wood. Truly seasoned is exorbitant - c £125 per cubic metre of kiln dried from a few national suppliers - it would be cheaper to chop up the furniture. Yes we do have storage space, and we've been spending a lot of Frugal February filling it up with foraged stuff, but there's a lead time involved and we're in it. Our boiler, by the way, takes around 30kg per burn.
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Re: coal v wood

Post by pegpuss »

Wow, thanks for all these replies! The internet connection decided to play up so I haven't been back much in the last week.
We bought 6 sacks of logs (don't know the weight but I'd say they're roughly potato sack size) for £30 from a place we pass on the way home from work, obviously much cheaper than the petrol station option, but probably still not the best value so I'd be interested to hear from HensAloud!

HensAloud wrote:Just seen your location PP my Dad lives about 7miles from you and he had a ton of logs delivered for £50 which is cheaper than we pay here. If you want the contact just shout and I will get it from Dad for you.
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.