More logs

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
vegalot
Lively Laner

More logs

Post by vegalot »

I like to keep at least a year ahead on logs, to make sure they are seasoned before use and for the last few years we haven't had to buy any.

Whilst we have next winters fuel sorted, I hadn't been able to find any for free this year, so it looked like I was going to have to buy a load, that was until a friend of ours rang me up and asked if i wanted a trailer full.
My answer was yes please, the following day, I cleared an area to store them, I mean he only has a 4' x 3' trailer, wouldn't need a lot of room, would I?

Imagine my suprise to answer the door and find a transit tipper sat in the drive, full of logs.
After unloading, he then asked if I wanted any more, so I said I would take whatever he dropped off, not expecting his reply of ' good, I have another 4 loads at least, maybe more'

These photos are of just 3 loads and not all the logs are in them. Some are too big to move to the back garden yet, I need to cut them down to a manageable size first.

The logs in the second pic, are around 4' long and it's a mix of oak and birch, mostly oak.

My old trusty axe was getting a little tired and had seen better days, so I went and bought a new one.
The big axe, called a Maul, I got last year and I wish I had bought one years ago.

We still have at least 2 more loads to come and I have to cut and split it all yet, but it looks like the next few winters will be warm for us :-D

Finding somewhere to store it, is my biggest worry right now.
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: More logs

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Looks like you've had a good touch there )t'
Just as a weird point of interest on axes did you know that for splitting logs the blunter the axe is the better it will split them.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
vegalot
Lively Laner

Re: More logs

Post by vegalot »

Someone told me that a few years back and I have never kept a sharp edge on the splitting axe since.
I also learnt not to swing the maul with too much energy. First time I used it, I destroyed 3 large plastic plant pots, that were over 4' away, :oops: I now have a cage that sits around my chopping block, so the logs don't escape. )t'
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?