AGA

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Tony H
Lively Laner

AGA

Post by Tony H »

Hi all I thinking of getting an aga type solid fuel cooker, was wondering if anyone had one and how they found them :-D live by a lot of woods so cost of running it would be very cheap )t'
davina112
Legendary Laner

Re: AGA

Post by davina112 »

Hi Tony, I would love an aga. Hubby has a very old one in his garge which he uses for heating and boiling the kettle etc. we do also cook casseroles in the oven part when it is lit, saves putting the cooker on. I think they take a bit of getting used to for using for all cooking purposes. If you decide to get one I would be interested to know how you find it.
[center][/center]Davina
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Tony,
Have a look Here also have a look at the Dragon which is bigger. Although there are no prices on the site they are very competitive. The ranges are built in the UK and there is no extra charge for having them what colour you want. The bloke that runs it is very approachable and happy to talk you through things.
Might be worth a look.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Thanks Dom for link )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

If my geography is right he's only about 30 miles from you. Just north of Derby.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I have a Rayburn one year younger than me !!

I burn wood from down the Lane (permission of access to it). Saves me a lot of money through Winter and gives the walls a nice warmth as well.

After a while you get your own technique. I can get it going then leave it completely alone for six hours, so it's not all that difficult.

Wishing you well.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Thank you Richard for reply I will now start to look around for one )t'
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Now I've done a bit of research here before we installed a new range after out Rayburn gave up the ghost, which was fab for cooking and hot water,but not so great for central heating. Aga's only are cookers really, you can get a side attatchement as a boiler but this ends up very BIG. We now have a Stanley Donard, central heating and hot water brill, takes quite a bit of stoking to cook on.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Followed the link and they're gooooooorgeous. So wish we could afford one.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I looked at the red one on the link. It is my birthday today so I told my hubby that I would like the red one and could he get it installed for when I got home, sadly he said no {cry} I will carry on asking, you never know.
[center][/center]Davina
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I grew up in a house with a rayburn, and I really miss it. I'd love to be able to have a solid fuel range here.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

My auntie & uncle used to have one of those very solid post-war council houses with a Rayburn in the kitchen that probably would have been new at the time. It ran the radiators for a three bed house (usually kept low) and most of the heat was used for boiling-hot water, cooking and heating the kitchen/diner which was their main living space. They burned coal, but I remember it always being too hot if anything. Two sets of neighbours now have Esse stoves burning wood and we find their houses too warm. Of course you can keep them more or less stoked to vary the heat, but you lose a bit of spontaneity by having to build it up before you cook anything. Our friend told us he got into trouble for stoking theirs up too high and burning a cake that was in the oven, so there's a bit of trial and error I think. When you get it right, though, they cook things like meat and bread really nicely, and slow-cooked things like casseroles are almost a free side-effect of the heating. Aga also talk about the fact that you can do away with other gadgets like kettles and toasters, use them for airing clothes etc. We've had the debate about whether to get one or not when we have the money - I'd love one, but OH doesn't want us to be dependent on it in the summer and not be able to turn it off.
holly
Learner Laner

Post by holly »

Hi, I have an Esse Ironheart and absolutely love it. Looks good, nice big oven and hotplates. Wouldn't be without it. Hugh has one at river cottage!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Holly, do you find it a problem to have to have it on permanently in the summer? This is the key point in our should we/shouldn't we debate.
holly
Learner Laner

Post by holly »

I have a separate oven and hob for the summer months. You are right, I couldn't imagine lighting the Esse on a summers day! I always look forward to lighting it again after the summer, and our summers are so fleeting! You say your neighbours homes are too warm, perhaps they are a little too enthusiastic stoking it up because it is possible to keep it at a pleasant temperature.