Have we all found sudden wealth? !!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Re: Have we all found sudden wealth? !!

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for the fabric conditioner recipe. I'll try that. White vinegar is no problem as I over-bought when in France.

A paper spill is a substitute for a taper. It's a long, thin thing that you can light from a gas ring, match, candle whatever and then poke it into the nooks and crannies of your pre-laid fire. You can buy fancy sort of wooden sliver jobbies in pipe shops (I'm told) but if you make your own you can save as much as 4p per annum I guess. It's the thought of something for nothing that gets me. Although I live in Yorkshire, my family are from Derbyshire and have deep pockets and very short arms.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Knowing what a paper spill is means that you also know what an open fire is, and how to light it. We used to lay sheets of newspaper, slightly crumple to hold air and burn quickly, then twisted paper spills to last longer, sticks on top then a little coal. We lit the paper sheet in several places. More coal was added when it was going well.

I think more people now-a-days are familiar with gas or electric 'coal effect' fires. Open fires will soon have a place in museums, though we like our grate if theirs a power cut.

)ot: My grandma had a gas poker to start her fire with.
Also )ot: As a child one of the 'useful a decorative gifts'* that we used to make to give at Christmas was spill holders. Either decorated tubs or felt Dutch boys with pockets that held coloured wooden spills.

*oh, yes, just what I wanted

Actually I have a half burnt twist of paper near my gas stove. One of the rings is reluctant to light automatically.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I remember all of that - except we only used spills for lighting but made paper sticks. I've made thousands and so could remember how to do those. They were my job; granddad made the spills.

We are blessed now to have an open fire and a multi-fuel stove. I don't even mind cleaning them out. The stove's hearth has been made from reclaimed quarry tiles (found in the garden) and I clean them with the successor to the much-missed Cardinal Red.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
clunie
Learner Laner

Post by clunie »

well we've the delights of a little multi fuel stove - that's our onlt form of heating in the house so making paper sticks to start the fire is an every day job for me. I must admit that I light the fire with a discarded lighter of my OH's (days of when he was a smoker). Sorry can't help with paper spills!

At least the coal is good, as for the past few days to say that it was dour is an understatement! heat tonight which is cheery when it is raining and windy outside!
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

We had an open fire and still do at mums but i just didnt know about them i always used either matches or one of the long gas lighters x
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!