Holidays as a child

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Maggie1

Holidays as a child

Post by Maggie1 »

As our family didn't have much money we never had the holidays that the youngsters have nowadays. It was just after the war and early 50's. The school never had day trips. We had day trips with the Sunday School but that was it. Our holidays were staying with relatives and they came and stayed with us in return which they loved as we lived at the seaside.

We had 2 relatives in London so that was our holiday. I think the only time Dad paid for an entry was to the Zoo, but it wasn't a huge amount or else we wouldn't have gone. We used to go to all the museums which were free. We never went to places that charged as we didn't have the money. We always took food with us and never ate out. Sitting on the Embankment watching the boats go by, and the huge cranes on the docks swinging around. Luckily Dad was a Londoner and showed us all what the usual tourist doesn't see. I treasured those holidays and still love London
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Holidays as a child

Post by Mo »

I used to go on the tube to South Ken for a day at the museums (in my early teens I suppose), we lived in the suburbs.
We could afford a fortnight on the Isle of Wight in a self catering chalet. But like the 'Family from One End Street' we chose the amusements that made our money last out e.g. crazy golf, and spent most of our time on the beach or walking. When it was wet I remember hovering around in the penny arcade, hoping someone would put a penny in the haunted graveyard.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

My parents had friends in Canvey Island. So that was always our destination.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Mo wrote:I used to go on the tube to South Ken for a day at the museums (in my early teens I suppose), we lived in the suburbs.
We could afford a fortnight on the Isle of Wight in a self catering chalet. But like the 'Family from One End Street' we chose the amusements that made our money last out e.g. crazy golf, and spent most of our time on the beach or walking. When it was wet I remember hovering around in the penny arcade, hoping someone would put a penny in the haunted graveyard.

We never touched the amusements as coming from the seaside we didn't. There was only the slot machines on the end of the pier anyway. We very rarely went on the beach either, only when relatives came and stayed as that was their holiday.
Actually the first ever paid holiday i.e. caravan was when I had got children of my own and I was 35. My parents never went on a paid holiday.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

As a child, I never had holidays as they are thought of today. All my mum's family lived in the Lincoln area and that is where we went. Going from an overcrowded part of London, which had been badly damaged by bombing it was a real treat just to see the countryside and grandmas garden with the river running at the bottom and actual ducks on it. Picking strawberry from her garden and seeing grandad's pig, I thought was wonderful.
Lots of my school friends went hop picking for the whole summer, but that was something that I missed out on. I felt so envious of them being allowed all that time off from school.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Holidays? I don't think so. My gran ran a boarding house so when I was younger I was sent to stay with relatives in Derbyshire (from my home in Bridlington) and actually this was great and I really enjoyed it.

My mum popped back to see us one year and took me, and my friend Eileen, to Blackpool. I hated it. We did everything on the cheap, Mum remembered why she left me with my grandparents in the first place and the food was awful.

Can't remember what year it was, but everywhere we went "Oh Carol" was playing. Even now if I hear that song I feel miserable.

By contrast, you see, Derbyshire was fabulous. My various aunts fed me well, took me out into the Peak District, let me help with the hens and one of them introduced me to classical music. Also, Blackpool was autumnal. Derbyshire had 12 hours of sunshine per day as I remember it.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

bmpsands wrote:Can't remember what year it was, but everywhere we went "Oh Carol" was playing. Even now if I hear that song I feel miserable.

It came out in 1958 I was going to put a Utube up but as it makes you miserable I won't.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Don't have memories as such, I think maybe when I was a tiny tot we may have b and b'd for a week but no recollection. Family was small and local so that wasn't an option. We did have days out in the summer to places like the Cotswolds for a picnic and a bottle of pop at the pub for Judi and I and Martini for Mum and a beer for Dad , then if we were lucky Dad would drop us off at home and nip out for fish and chips, which were only eaten as a real treat in those days.
As I grew older , Dad started having a problem with )hic( and Mum wouldn't be seen out with him. However I did have a pony bought or me when I was 12 and the following 4 years summers were spent exploring the countryside , with my friend and her pony. We had duffel bags slung across our shoulders with sandwiches and a drink and carrots or apples for the ponies. Those were really happy days (until I got home to the bad atmosphere).
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Do you know Annie I was so lucky having such a happy childhood. Sadly I lost both Mum and Dad in my 20's so I could never repay them in their old age.