Just a phase

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Just a phase

Post by Freeranger »

I've just started a new job, and finding myself hungry all the time and casually spending money on fripperies e.g. sandwiches, snacks, coffee kitties etc in a way I don't approve of. Frugal Feb seems so easily forgotten, and I've also been making the cost/time decision and buying pricier things in the food shop than I would otherwise. I can't pretend that I'm going to be paid a fortune, but it's nice not to have to worry that I can't afford little extras. It's only small things, but they add up. I know it isn't nice, but when other fruglers said thing like 'I park further away and walk instead of paying for a space nearer the office' I was quite judgemental and facepalmed a few times. Now I'm doing it about myself!! Please tell me it doesn't last.....
....I did make up for it by buying 4*1.5kg flour for 45p each! I can make stuff at home with it instead of buying.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Just a phase

Post by Annie »

Hows your new job going Freeranger ? All this picking is probably a bit of stress relief,nothing like a bit of chocolate to soothe the nerves.
Can't comment on the frugal thing , not been known to join in on that much, in the days when I used to work, years ago, I walked to work because I enjoyed doing so not to save bus fares. If cost cutting fits in with your way of life , well thats good , isn't it ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Freeranger wrote:I know it isn't nice, but when other fruglers said thing like 'I park further away and walk instead of paying for a space nearer the office' I was quite judgemental and facepalmed a few times. Now I'm doing it about myself!! Please tell me it doesn't last.....

I think a lot depends on your sense of monetary value, time and determination - if something costs far more than it should, then you might decide that walking the difference is worthwhile. If you have time to do it, then you have no excuse, and if you are passionate about not paying over the odds, you'll have the determination to keep it going.

On the other hand you might decide life's too short LOL
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I can be a bit like this at work too FR. I've started buying multipacks of snacks (usually from the £shop) and having them in my office so I can still have a wee treat without spending a fortune when I fancy it.
If you're able to afford a few extra treats in your food shop which you couldn't before I say go for it and don't feel guilty for enjoying earning them, as LL says sometimes life's too short )t'
Hope the new job's going well :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
manda

Post by manda »

I think you said it yourself Freeranger...you offset it by saving somewhere else.

Hey at the end of the day you spend your money how you want ..but if you find you're faceplanting yourself lots then you might need to think again )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks, all. The new job is how they always are - feels all very new and I hate feeling uncertain. The people are very nice, though, and I'm getting to grips with an unclear job description. I realised that the eating was part time-filling and part being in an office on my own, so can adopt other strategies. Many of my colleagues are quite skinny so ultimately the humiliation will be too much anyway!