Would anyone like a pile of strawberries?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
mariat
Lively Laner

Would anyone like a pile of strawberries?

Post by mariat »

So far this year I have picked about 20kg of strawberries. I have made oodles of jam and some strawberry wine, but there are still loads unpicked, which I don't need. I hate waste, so I was wondering if anyone here is near enough and would like some. I'm in Norfolk, but it's a big county, so if you are interested, please PM me for my precise location. They need to be picked asap, if no replies by Saturday I'll let the blackbirds have them.
perchy

Re: Would anyone like a pile of strawberries?

Post by perchy »

How kind!!! wish I was nearer, I would there with my trug and straw hat, and maybe some clotted cream and a few scones )grin2(
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

You'd need a big trug, there must be at least another 3kg there. If my son was still at Nottingham Trent uni, I'd bring you some!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hiya there mariat,as you say Norfolk is a big county ,where abouts in Norfolk are you as we would love to help but think you would be to far.Pick them and put outside the gate for sale £1 a bag or whatever ,i am sure this weather people would buy them ,or your local shop may help if prices right >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

Hi Bill,

We are on the wrong side of Swaffham to you, about 60 miles. I thought of selling them at the gate but don't have any punnets and too late to order some now. Can't really put strawberries in a bag, would go soft. A thought for next year. We don't have a local shop.
perchy

Post by perchy »

mariat wrote:You'd need a big trug, there must be at least another 3kg there. If my son was still at Nottingham Trent uni, I'd bring you some!

}hairout{ }hairout{
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

OK, so Saturday has come and no takers. I'll wait til Monday before I de-net them. I really hate waste!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Know how you feel ,realy sad that.
You are right about the bags would have made them bring there own bowl ,like i used to when i sold eggs )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When I used to put plums out I'd either use margarine tubs, big plastic milk bottles with the tops cut off, or put them in a big tray (that fruit shops get apples in) and stick a few plastic bags underneath the corner of the box.

The birds enjoyed the last of our gooseberries and redcurrants after our freezer was full and the family had picked as many as they wanted. Nothings wasted, all goes back into the soil one way or another (but I agree, I'd rather see things used - it was just too hot to pick for giving away)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

Ah-ha! The plastic milk bottles is a brilliant idea, so I'm gonna save all mine til next year and sell off the surplus berries. Thanks Mo )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That will make a mountain! (at least punnets stack, milk punnets might not).
OH goes mad at all the plastic I save.
Piles of big marg tubs etc.
But when we have crops that need freezing (or selling/giving away) the pile shrinks to nothing - and I can never match tub with lid.
2kg tubs for soft fruit (frozen on a baking tin, so that I can take out a handful) of for 2x1kg bags of stewed plums (then if I want to make jam I know how much sugar I need)
Smaller tubs, yoghurt pots etc (I have been known to go round collecting plastic beakers) for portions of cooked this & that.
I sometimes freeze milk so that we have a spare - I caught him squashing a 1litre for recycling - Grrrr. 2litres is cheaper to buy, but 1litre is easier to defrost!

If I run out of egg boxes a 2litre chopped off milk bottle holds 5 eggs (maybe 6) a 4litre holds 6 easily.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

A lady after my own heart! I save empty coke bottles to use as mini cloches etc. Good tip about the milk bottles for eggs. And at this time of year I'm always looking for containers to hold frozen veg.
Ed Woods
Learner Laner

Post by Ed Woods »

Such a shame I missed this advert - I was off work that week - and I live in West Norfolk in a small village on the North West edge of Thetford Forest - and that week and we made jam. We were going to make strawberry but by the time we got to the local Poultry Auction place they had sold all the soft fruit (there was a fruit and veg auction before the poultry). Instead we harvested plums from an old tree in our garden and made 20 or so jars of plum jam :(