Help! - Anyone got any bright ideas?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Help! - Anyone got any bright ideas?

Post by rhubarb93 »

I've just bought a replacement for my very old cooker on ebay. It was only after I'd bought it the seller revealed the collection was from a 3rd floor flat!
We'd planned to collect it ourselves with our campervan, but there is no way we can cope with getting it down 3 flights of stairs.
I've been given some very silly quotes for moving it (rather more than the cost of the cooker).
I don't suppose anyone knows of a sensible, reliable man-with-van in the London area, or has any bright ideas how we can find a couple of strong guys we could pay to carry it down for us? It is in North London (N4)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Help! - Anyone got any bright ideas?

Post by Meanqueen »

I think that is very underhand of the seller not to offer this information before you commited yourself. Also I think you should have asked about problems of lifting and removal of said item. Too late now. I think the seller should provide two big blokes to assist, offer them a tenner each. Or grab someone off the street.

Saying that, you would be in dead trouble if someone was injured while trying to move it, because you wouldn't be insured. Could end up costing you plenty. Hiring someone would be best as they will know the risks and should have their own insurance.

Spose it is too heavy for a sturdy sack truck. Tie it on with ropes, have someone above it lowering it down slowly while hanging on to the ropes. Remove anything that can be removed. Unscrew door, take off all loose parts. Probably a daft idea. What about a local removal company, they are used to moving cumbersome stuff. There again it will cost you. Another option, ask for your money back, complaining that they didn't give you the full facts. Or re advertise it yourself on ebay, buyer collects from flat three floors up.

Sorry can't be of more help.
Ilona

Edited. Another idea. Can you get some scaffolding boards and lay them on the stairs. Ropes around the cooker, and lower it down on it's back. One person hanging on to the ropes at the top, and one below taking a bit of the weight. But don't let the bluddy thing go. {warn}
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Thanks for the suggestions, which sounded "interesting" but a bit hairy!
Hired 2 men and a van and it is safely home.
I WAS a bit peeved she withheld that bit of info, and was worried about what else she hadn't told me, but it is fine, so all's well that ends well, though it did cost me £70 I hadn't bargained on. Still, better safe than sorry, and the guys were ace, getting it out through a minute door and down a narrow twisting staircase. No idea how they did it - I couldn't watch!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Glad you got it shifted safely. Yes, there were a few hairbrained ideas there, but that's just me, I don't give up easily. Having moved quite a lot of immovable objects in my heavy haulage days, working out the best options was part of the job, and that couldn't be done without a thorough inspection of the available working space. +f+
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Your question brings back memories.
When I shared a terraced house (2 up, 2 down & 1 out the back) I wanted a piano, so bought one that was advertised in the window of Oxfam. Arranged for it to be moved and paid extra for 2 men as I wanted it to go upstairs in my room. But it ended up in the shared living room as they couldn't get it up the narrow staircase.
When I moved a friend said he would like it, he dismantled it (amazing how much you can take off a piano) and the gang of us trundled it through the streets of Stockton-on Tees to his house.

Glad you got your cooker moved (I would have asked her for a reduction)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Mo wrote:Your question brings back memories.
When I shared a terraced house (2 up, 2 down & 1 out the back) I wanted a piano, so bought one that was advertised in the window of Oxfam. Arranged for it to be moved and paid extra for 2 men as I wanted it to go upstairs in my room. But it ended up in the shared living room as they couldn't get it up the narrow staircase.
When I moved a friend said he would like it, he dismantled it (amazing how much you can take off a piano) and the gang of us trundled it through the streets of Stockton-on Tees to his house.

Glad you got your cooker moved (I would have asked her for a reduction)

Interesting how these memories stay with you, isn't it? All adds to life's flavour.

Yes, you're right, I should have asked for reduction - didn't occur to me. Was also going to post negative feedback, but it seems a bit mean. She has been helpful enough to post the manual, which she forgot to give me.

I will send her a final e-mail to let her know how dischuffed I was, though. OH says there's no point now, but it may put her off doing something similar to some other poor sod in the future.