Running out of clothes

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Running out of clothes

Post by Mo »

The Oxfam shops in this country tend to be fairly pricey too, to make the most they can for the charity. Some charities go for selling more, cheaper. And in the UK some local groups have jumble sales in a local hall, tables piled high with stuff which they have to sell that day so things are pence.
I don't know if they are as popular here as they were a few decades back and I know Germany has had a higher standard of living than us, so maybe you don't do it.

Groceries have to be your priority, but you will find lots of hints on this site for frugal eating. E.g. Using more vegetables and less meat. Using up all leftovers and throwing nothing away. Maybe you do this already.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you can post here you must have access to a computer (haven't times changed - a few years ago I'd have said 'she can't be broke then, if she can afford that').
So you could join Freecyle.
You can give things away that you don't need or ask for things that you do need. So if you have a group near you, join it and ask for clothes of your size. People often have stuff in the wardrobe that they don't use any more. It may not be what you would chose to wear, but better that than being cold. I think some parts of Germany have very cold winters, where do you live? Extra layers of clothes can help you cut down on heating bills too.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Do you work out a budget for each month?
When I left home and was living on a student grant I used to write down everything I spent. Then as I found that I was managing OK (and even had a little to spare for the occasional tea and cake in the Student Union) I stopped doing it.
Then when I married I started again, everything I spent went down and at the end of the month I divided it into columns - bills, food, car, other etc. Then I found that we were doing OK and managing to save so I stopped writing down the details but still wrote down totals (e.g. supermarket total instead of individual items).
I could predict which bills would need paying before I got them. I still have a fair idea of what we are going to spend.

I know I'm odd because I like playing about with numbers, but I do think that if you know what you are spending you can make choices. Some people here have saved quite a lot in our Frugal February campaigns just by changing a brand, using up things at the back of the cupboard or taking a packed lunch to work.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Maja,

I lived in Stuttgart for nearly two years, had a grand time :-D

Try the German Re-Cycle Group.....

http://www.freecycle.org/group/DE/Germany

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/de

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Mo wrote:The Oxfam shops in this country tend to be fairly pricey too, to make the most they can for the charity.

Which is a good reason, I think. But that's another aspect, it's just too expensive for me right now.

Mo wrote:I don't know if they are as popular here as they were a few decades back and I know Germany has had a higher standard of living than us, so maybe you don't do it.

I doubt that we have a higher standard. Why do you think so?

Mo wrote:Groceries have to be your priority, but you will find lots of hints on this site for frugal eating. E.g. Using more vegetables and less meat. Using up all leftovers and throwing nothing away. Maybe you do this already.

I read about it (not just here) and yes, I try to use everything I have and try to throw away nothing. I like to eat meat I must admit. Today I had sausages with potatoes. ;) Better than a instant soup ...

Groceries are my priority, yes. I was shopping today for groceries and sanitary articles. So I have some things in stock now. And I loaded my canteen card today with a few euros so I can eat there.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

maja1991 wrote:I doubt that we have a higher standard. Why do you think so?

I know how much things changed here between when I was growing up in the 40s & 50s and when my children were growing up. And I had the impression when they went to Germany on school exchanges that W. Germany was further along that road.
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Mo wrote:If you can post here you must have access to a computer (haven't times changed - a few years ago I'd have said 'she can't be broke then, if she can afford that').

Yes ;)
I have an old notebook (I would never buy a new computer, used ones are really cheap, but the one I have is an old one my father gave me) and a live in a flat-sharing community, so internet access is free for me.

Mo wrote:So you could join Freecyle.
You can give things away that you don't need or ask for things that you do need. So if you have a group near you, join it and ask for clothes of your size. People often have stuff in the wardrobe that they don't use any more.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the hint.

Mo wrote:It may not be what you would chose to wear, but better that than being cold. I think some parts of Germany have very cold winters, where do you live?

Western Germany. The last winters were not so cold, fortunately. But there were peaks. Last winter we had a few days about -10 degrees celsius. I chose to stay at home these days ;)

Mo wrote:Extra layers of clothes can help you cut down on heating bills too.

Heating is quite good here. I live in a room in a flat-sharing community, so it would not spare much money if I would turn off heating in my room. We all pay together for heating.
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi again! ;)

Mo wrote:Do you work out a budget for each month?

No, I am afraid not.

Mo wrote:When I left home and was living on a student grant I used to write down everything I spent. Then as I found that I was managing OK (and even had a little to spare for the occasional tea and cake in the Student Union) I stopped doing it.

Perhaps I should try to do so. Work out a budget plan ...

Thanks for your answers!

:)
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Richard wrote:Hi Maja,
I lived in Stuttgart for nearly two years, had a grand time :-D

:-D

Thanks! I will try ...
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Mo wrote:
maja1991 wrote:I doubt that we have a higher standard. Why do you think so?

I know how much things changed here between when I was growing up in the 40s & 50s and when my children were growing up. And I had the impression when they went to Germany on school exchanges that W. Germany was further along that road.

I don't know. Unfortunately I never visited UK as of now so I can't tell. But what I am aware of (internet, newspapers, etc.) I don't think we have a higher standard. Perhaps a bit higher or a bit lower, but kind of equal I would say.
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi (again) ...

Just wanted to say that I am really grateful for all of your answers. :-D
Thank you!

{hug}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Maja

Excuse me for saying but for instance today my son and his girlfriend moved into a smaller flat than before to save money and they had a big sort out of their clothes, five bin bags full.

I brought them home and sorted them and a lot were perfectly fine to wear still.

Young people see clothes as disposable, many of us oldens do as well.

What I'm getting at is don't you have family or friends who can help you out, so many have a huge surplus of clothing.

I know when I lived in Germany on certain days, once a month I believe, everyone put things out in the Street for collection but it was quite normal and acceptable for people to go round and help themselves to furniture, clothing etc.

I'd ask your family and friends if times are that hard. Seems the answer is not going to come to you, you have to find it.

In greatest respect, Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

What about your family/friends/work mates/neighbours, could they not help you out?

Am at a loss as what else to suggest tbh.
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Richard wrote:Maja

Excuse me for saying but for instance today my son and his girlfriend moved into a smaller flat than before to save money and they had a big sort out of their clothes, five bin bags full.

I brought them home and sorted them and a lot were perfectly fine to wear still.

Young people see clothes as disposable, many of us oldens do as well.

I know many people have tons of clothes, even clothes bought months or years ago, which are never worn even once. I really don't understand that. I was never interested in dressing up or wearing different outfits every day. My idea of an ideal wardrobe would be: a handful of tshirts and tops, a few sweaters, a few pairs of jeans, perhaps a pair of jogging pants for wearing at home, a jacket for summer and one for winter. When it comes to shoes: ballet flats, some kind of canvas shoes (vans or chucks), flipflops and boots for winter. I really wouldn't want to have more. It would be enough to do laundry only once a week having always clean things to wear. Easy to handle (no ironing needed), comfortable und durable. :-)

Richard wrote:What I'm getting at is don't you have family or friends who can help you out, so many have a huge surplus of clothing.

My family is living about 600 km away and I don't have much contact anymore. When it comes to friends: yes, of course, I think they could (and also would) help me out with some clothing. But I'm a bit shy about it and never asked. I know there is not much about it, but I really wouldn't like to ask them to help me with clothes. Besides, most of my friends are on holiday at the moment, coming back in about a months or so.

Richard wrote:I know when I lived in Germany on certain days, once a month I believe, everyone put things out in the Street for collection but it was quite normal and acceptable for people to go round and help themselves to furniture, clothing etc.

Yes, "Sperrmüll" ... :-) I have a chair and two shelves from there. But I never really looked for clothes there. But the last time I was looking for things (for my room) there, I didn't need clothes so desperately. Perhaps I should try to find something there. Next Sperrmüll is in two weeks, I just looked it up. :-)

Richard wrote:I'd ask your family and friends if times are that hard.

As a last resort, I could ask my parents for some money to buy a few things. But for certain reasons it wouldn't be easy for me to do that. I really would like to make it on my own.

So I will keep looking for cheap or free things at the moment.

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts!

Have a nice day!
maja1991
Learner Laner

Post by maja1991 »

Hi!

Gwenoakes wrote:What about your family/friends/work mates/neighbours, could they not help you out?

I wrote about that a few minutes ago, as Richard suggested to ask friends or family. I would like to add: there are friends of mine who are constantly swapping clothes, since they are really into fashion and dressing up and so on. I'm not and I am bit shy and would feel kind of pathetic about asking them for help, since when I would ask to borrow something (or a donation) it would not be because of trying out a new outfit or something like that but because I have no jacket and no decent pants to wear. Quite a difference.

I don't know if you can understand that ...